Natural Edge Almond Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob Wemm

Bob Wemm

Had some excitement with this sucker. When I got the bark edge down to about 1/2 thick my nerves started to control my brain. Some (Heaps) of CA and a lot of convincing gradually got the bark to less than 1/4 thick.:eek:

The internal sanding is not quite my usual standard but things were getting very hairy at that point.:redface:

So, sanded to 400 and then finished with 4 coats of WOP.
7.5in wide and 4.5in high.

Think I might have to keep this one.
The wood came from robutacion. Thanks George.
Hope you like it and thanks for looking.

C & C welcome.

Bob.:)

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 205
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 170
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 190
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 204
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bob Wemm

ARGH DANG.
It's not Almond, but a lovely piece of Apricot.
Thanks George, can't get it wrong can I.???????

Cheers,
Bob.:redface:

Had some excitement with this sucker. When I got the bark edge down to about 1/2 thick my nerves started to control my brain. Some (Heaps) of CA and a lot of convincing gradually got the bark to less than 1/4 thick.:eek:

The internal sanding is not quite my usual standard but things were getting very hairy at that point.:redface:

So, sanded to 400 and then finished with 4 coats of WOP.
7.5in wide and 4.5in high.

Think I might have to keep this one.
The wood came from robutacion. Thanks George.
Hope you like it and thanks for looking.

C & C welcome.

robutacion

ARGH DANG.
It's not Almond, but a lovely piece of Apricot.
Thanks George, can't get it wrong can I.???????

Cheers,
Bob.:redface:

Hi Bob, yes you can mate, if I only had a "twenty" for every time I have made a mistake, I would be a very rich man...!

Is not difficult to see why the confusion, the bark is very identical, such is also the transition between heartwood and sapwood. The only one thing that caught my eye was the spalting, Almond doesn't spalt but the old Apricot trees do, and do it well, as the piece you beautifully turned shows, clearly...!

017.JPG 016.JPG

I didn't realise how thick that bark was, sure I cut that blank but, I didn't noticed it until I saw your piece, getting any small bark to 1/4" is a challenge, do it on such bark length, would be nerve wrecking, for sure.

The most amazing thing is that, the bark is not a solid piece of the same length all around, there are huge differences between the highs and the lows, some parts seem to be holding by a "thread", getting to the end with it still there, that is an achievement...!

Well made piece, congrats...!

PS: I actually picked and ate (with Merissa) the last Apricots that tree produced, the tree was dying from Termite infestation, in a fruit garden that was totally contaminate so, I removed all the old fruit trees, salvaged what I could and burn the rest with the Termites still present in the wood, this is the most effective way to avoid further contamination to other woods that aren't yet affected. The fruit yard was planted in 1971, just a few months after the farmhouse was built, inscriptions on the chemine ...!

The 2 best bowl blanks the tree produced, you got one and the other was made into a salad bowl as requested (to use in their kitchen...!)

I thought you would like to know, I haven't wrote that much about all the old fruit trees I salvage from that yard in 2013, in fact, my our last job at tree work...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

turncrazy43

Bob, super job on that bowl. I can see how the bark was a real challenge. It certainly came out beautifully and well worth all of your efforts. Thanks for showing us another of your great pieces.

Bob Wemm

Never mind about the manufacture, google found it real quick Minwax. Will have to try some.

Hi John,
My favourite finish for bowls is Shellawax, a friction polish, but that is difficult on a piece that has uneven edges. So the next best thing for a glossy finish is WOP. I usually apply 3 coats then sand at 400 and apply one more coat. The instructions say to sand after each coat.
For a Satin finish I use a Spray Can Lacquer.

Cheers,

Bob Wemm

Wow, I really want to learn how to turn bowls like this.

Great job!

Hi Kelly,
Next time you are passing by I will show you. It is great fun.

Cheers,

Wish I lived closer I would be camped at your door step

Hi William,
You would be most welcome at any time.
Your projects are pretty inspiring also, don't sell yourself short.
I would love to make metal objects.

Cheers,

OZturner

What a Winner, Bob.
No wonder you were sweating with so much Bark whistling past your hands!
If you turned many Bowls with that much Bark, you would need to Buy your CA in 44 Gal Drums. As well as Bandaids by the pallet load.
Congratulations, Bob, on Magnificent Turning of a Marvelous Bowl.
I love Bowls that are turned thin.
Your Finish is Outstanding.
And with all your Blood Sweat and Tears, I wouldn't let it go either.
Love your work - Bob.
Brian.

Bob - Absolutely GORGEOUS example of a live edge bowl!!!! Congrats on a real winner!

Might be fun to take it to a show and put an outrageous price on it (like enough to take a trip). If someone wants it that bad they should have it. And you get to spend a week in Sydney (or wherever you want). And if you don't sell it that's ok, too, because you really didn't want to sell it.

Thanks for sharing. That's a beauty!

Last edited:
Top Bottom