Napkin rings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dan Masshardt

Dan Masshardt

I've been messing around the last couple days with napkin rings. Trying to find the size, line spacing etc that I like best.

Here are a few in black walnut.

Attachments

• image-852281822.jpg
    image-852281822.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 206
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bezdomni

I learned early on to cut the wire extra long or wear gloves.......BURN!

I'm not worried about getting burned primarily.

If the wire is wrapped around your fingers and somehow got caught in the lathe. It pains me just to consider it...

I use the free paint sample chips from the hardware store. Works great but you have to accept that the line isn't as narrow as you can make it with a skew or wire.

Chuck

Mason Kuettel

Nice rings, I like the middle one best. My neighbor is a guitar player and they throw away strings about every two to three months so whenever I run low I just let him know and he brings me his next old set. They work great and they come in 6 different sizes every time!

sbwertz

When I first started turning I bought a set of three burning wires in three different sizes with little wooden balls on the ends. I have used them a gazillion times!

Sharon

Look nice Dan. Did you burn the lines in after turning to darken them?

Yes. Very quick and simple. Just make a line with a skew etc and use a wire (with handles!) to burn the lines in.

sbwertz

I just started turning napkin rings, too. I found a you tube video that showed how to make a mandrel to turn them on. I've made one set of wide ones out of zebra wood 6/4 that turned out really nice. Most are just made from 4/4 or 5/4 wood. I've been toying with the idea of cutting a groove and setting tiny turquoise nuggets in the wider ones. Don't know if it will work. I've sold two sets and given away a bunch.

Dan Masshardt

I just started turning napkin rings, too. I found a you tube video that showed how to make a mandrel to turn them on. I've made one set of wide ones out of zebra wood 6/4 that turned out really nice. Most are just made from 4/4 or 5/4 wood. I've been toying with the idea of cutting a groove and setting tiny turquoise nuggets in the wider ones. Don't know if it will work. I've sold two sets and given away a bunch.

I used that same video as an example! Once you get it made, it makes it easy.

Cool ideas you have. I'd love to see them sometime.

Top Bottom