Name that wood!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from campzeke

campzeke

Last month Dogrunner (IAP screen name) offered a couple of SFR boxes of blanks for the shipping and I was lucky enough to receive one of them. This blank was in the box and I have no idea what kind of wood it is. I will say it was as hard as a rock and had a somewhat pungent smell when turned. Not like camphor but kind of like that. Eucalyptus ???? The burl was very tight and did I say hard? I used a BLO/CA finish. Typically with this combination I get a high gloss finish. On this piece, the CA had a gloss until I lightly sanded and tried to polish it. Then I could only bring it back to a satin finish. I did not sand through the CA. I thought I did at first so I reapplied with the same results... twice! Weird.... I really like the pen and it is currently my carry pen. Thoughts, opinions, ideas .... all welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_4501.jpg
    IMG_4501.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_4502.jpg
    IMG_4502.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_4503.jpg
    IMG_4503.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_4504.jpg
    IMG_4504.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_4505.jpg
    IMG_4505.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 149
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

It's beautiful !!! . Desert Ironwood ? . Doesn't look like Eucalyptus to me with that red-brown portion. . What about Mesquite ?

Last edited:

JohnU

I have some rosewood sapwood with some heartwood showing, that resembles what you have.

Here's a pen I made from it. The piece I used on this one is much straighter grain than others I've turned.

But it also looks like amboyna.

Attachments

• 200862632721_Rosewood%20Euro.jpg
    200862632721_Rosewood%20Euro.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

campzeke

I have some rosewood sapwood with some heartwood showing, that resembles what you have.

Here's a pen I made from it. The piece I used on this one is much straighter grain than others I've turned.

But it also looks like amboyna.

It looks similar John but is the rosewood hard as a rock and does it have a distinct smell to it?

JohnU

Well, In my opinion, I think rosewood is harder than amboyna, but I think amboyna smells better than rosewood. I know there are many different origins with rosewood so some may smell better than others.

Top Bottom