Mystery wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Holzchief

Hello from Florida.
Been a member for a few weeks, scanned the forums for help quite a while before that when I had something I couldn't figure out. Pretty much every question I had was answered by searching the threads on this site.
There's an amazing amount of kowledge and skill on display here. Hopefully someone can help answer this one.
I made this pen last week. 15 coats of CA. I really like the way it came out but, I have no idea what the wood is. The other half of the blank is in front of it.
Any ideas?
20200427_192121.jpg

Holzchief

My first thought was black Limba (http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/limba.htm). Curious where the blank came from - just determining domestic or exotic can really help to narrow the possibilities. Relative hardness, endgrain, and notable odors can also help.
I believe that is it. We had been in a warehouse inTampa where my wife saw some Limba but I didn't buy any. Not long after we went to a warehouse in Bradenton and got this piece out of a cut-off bin. I was nice to work with. Now I know what to ask for, I will be getting some more.
Thank you.

Top Bottom