Mystery tubes- can you identify?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
So, I have a small collection of tubes someone gave me that I need some help identifying so I can buy some pen kits to fit them & put them to use. I really want to use them, but just need a point in the right direction of what pen kits I need.

They are the same dimensions as a Wall Street 2 tube for the ID/OD (ID .387ish and OD .410ish) but the length of the tube is a bit shorter; it's apx 1.965 inches long (vs a WS2 that is apx 2.210 long). I'm doing my best to give accurate measurements but my calipers are cheap (& manual not digital), but that's as best as I can pinpoint size wise.

Does that ring any bells for anyone? I tried looking at woodcrafts pen guide, but that didn't help much since tube lengths aren't listed- just bit size & google isn't helping much.
Do you guys have any ideas I can start with and dig deeper? The more I research pen kits, the more I realize are out there! Lol!

Thanks!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

The Wall Street 2 is a " clone " of the Sierra Twist, which is a kit developed many years ago by ... BereaHardwoods.com

Now, akin to the Sierra Twist, there are other kits with slightly shorter tubes ..... those kits have names like " Sierra Elegant Beauty " or similar.
I will try to be more specific after I do some research.

The Woodcraft company also had ( has ? ) some kits with " Elegant " in their names.
The main commonality of all these is the diameter of the brass tube, which is ( nominally ) 27/64" (drill size used for hole to insert that tube size)
The brass tubes actually have an OD of 0.410ish, as you have already stated.

The lengths of the tubes you have seem vaguely familiar and I will try to look up kit names by the value of the length.

Some Sierra Pencil kits had ( have ? ) a 27/64" tube of length 1.76", but that is a bit short for the measurement you quote .

Last edited:

Dehn0045

you can download the bushing and tube chart and search "27/64" -- that is the bit size for 0.410 OD tube

Sierra Grip looks right (as Mal notes, this is the same as the Wall Street II Grip). The Sierra Click could also work but you may need to trim a little off the tube.

The Wall Street 2 is a " clone " of the Sierra Twist, which is a kit developed many years ago by ... BereaHardwoods.com

Now, akin to the Sierra Twist, there are other kits with slightly shorter tubes ..... those kits have names like " Sierra Elegant Beauty " or similar.
I will try to be more specific after I do some research.

The Woodcraft company also had ( has ? ) some kits with " Elegant " in their names.
The main commonality of all these is the diameter of the brass tube, which is ( nominally ) 27/64" (drill size used for hole to insert that tube size)
The brass tubes actually have an OD of 0.410ish, as you have already stated.

The lengths of the tubes you have seem vaguely familiar and I will try to look up kits names by the value of the length.
Thank you!! That's a place to start!

you can download the bushing and tube chart and search "27/64" -- that is the bit size for 0.410 OD tube

Sierra Grip looks right (as Mal notes, this is the same as the Wall Street II Grip). The Sierra Click could also work but you may need to trim a little off the tube.
I'll start with some research there! Thank you!

magpens

The Sierra Click pen kits had ( have ) 27/64" diameter tubes of length 2.42".

magpens

There was also a Berea pen kit, called the " Elegant Beauty Sierra " ( distinct from the " Sierra Elegant Beauty " ) which had a 27/64" diameter brass tube having a length of around 1.95". . I remember that being a source of confusion for me. . But I have not seen any kits by that name for a long time.

magpens

oops - maybe the "Elegant Click", elegant beauty version -- shows 1.89

I don't think Lauren would make as large an error in the length .... she quoted 1.965"

Yes, Woodcraft did have a Wall Street 2 kit called the " Elegant Click " with a 27/64" tube that was 1.89" long.

Dehn0045

my suggestion was that she could used the tubes for the elegant series but would probably need to trim a little (I am not exactly certain of the design of the kit and whether or not precise tube length is important, although it usually is for click kits). Making tubes longer is decidedly harder than making them shorter.

magpens

@TheCraftyCarver

So, I have a small collection of tubes someone gave me that I need some help identifying so I can buy some pen kits to fit them & put them to use. I really want to use them, but just need a point in the right direction of what pen kits I need.

I do have a question ..... why would you want to find some kits so that you can " use up " some brass tubes that you have ?

When you buy a kit, you ALWAYS get the appropriate brass tubes with the kit .......

Having " spare " tubes as " back up " for possible mistakes, is always nice ..... but not really the central issue, here ..... as I see things ! . :)

jttheclockman

All I can say to you is GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have such a scrap pile myself and to me not worth the effort of trying to sort out. I have a huge box that I throw all extra tubes in. Most are in plastic bags with names on them but there are also miscellaneous bags too. Right now I am reorganizing my pen turning stuff because I need to get it all out of the way for the plumbers to get to the piping for my new kitchen and bathroom. They need access to basement ceiling. I am putting things in boxes and putting on rolling carts so I can move around when needed. I am actually going to have to move the stack of wood I have leaning against the walls for the longest time. That should be fun. My hobby days are dwindling so may have to sell off some of this wood. But it sure is pretty to look at. :):)

Jans husband

Nonsense - you just need to invert the wiring on your chopsaw. Same reason some lathes are made with a "reverse" function - so you can put material back on after you get too enthusiastic with the gouge.
On a more serious note, chop the tube in half and insert and glue one piece into each end.
The gap in the middle doesn't matter!
Mike

howsitwork

@TheCraftyCarver

I do have a question ..... why would you want to find some kits so that you can " use up " some brass tubes that you have ?

When you buy a kit, you ALWAYS get the appropriate brass tubes with the kit .......

Having " spare " tubes as " back up " for possible mistakes, is always nice ..... but not really the central issue, here ..... as I see things ! . :)
I certainly have a few "backup " tubes from when I packs of original tubes and bought replacements , then when putting the replacements away found the lost tubes in a "very safe place where Imcouldnt possibly lose them " 🤦‍♂️🤣

howsitwork

Bats in reply to that thought …

Back in the mists of time , say 40 years ago before electronic variable speed lathes , there was a guy named Jack Hill . He was a reknown windsor chair maker who made a variable speed lathe made by using a Reliant Robin gear box between his motor and lathe spindle . He would change gear on the move and had 4 forward and a reverse .

He was constantly challenged to put the wood back in reverse! You could hear when he changed gear from the crunching sound but it did work !

Sorry bit off topic but it was memorable to watch

Bats

a variable speed lathe made by using a Reliant Robin gear box between his motor and lathe spindle . He would change gear on the move and had 4 forward and a reverse .
He was constantly challenged to put the wood back in reverse! You could hear when he changed gear from the crunching sound but it did work !
Going from forward to reverse while running? Wow... I'll bet it crunched! I wired up a reverse on my South Bend, but since I've got a threaded spindle I have to be very careful about actually using it. No slamming from forward to backward for me.

Sorry bit off topic but it was memorable to watch
Speaking of off topic, I had to look up the Reliant Robin. Cute little critter. Reminds me of the fleet of Tritan A2s that Domino's Pizza used to have at/near their world HQ when I was growing up in that area. First time I've thought of them in years, but damned if I didn't desperately want one when I was little.

Back on topic...
On a more serious note, chop the tube in half and insert and glue one piece into each end.
The gap in the middle doesn't matter!
I like the idea, and may have to steal it - although it'd probably work better on some pen styles than others. Straight-barrel slimlines don't have a whole lot of wood around the tube, so I'd worry about blowouts while turning (especially with the added pressure if you're TBC), but I imagine a Wall St/Sierra/etc should have more meat around the center, especially if it's turned with a bit of a curve.

@TheCraftyCarver

Sent you a PM ☺️

I don't think Lauren would make as large an error in the length .... she quoted 1.965"

Yes, Woodcraft did have a Wall Street 2 kit called the " Elegant Click " with a 27/64" tube that was 1.89" long.
I'll check my lengths again when I go out to the shop this morning, but I'm pretty sure my measurements were accurate (one of my many random tasks in life was doing QC receiving of custom machined parts and having to take measurements off of CAD engineering prints, so while I make mistakes at times, I usually get along well with calipers. ☺️

All I can say to you is GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have such a scrap pile myself and to me not worth the effort of trying to sort out. I have a huge box that I throw all extra tubes in. Most are in plastic bags with names on them but there are also miscellaneous bags too. Right now I am reorganizing my pen turning stuff because I need to get it all out of the way for the plumbers to get to the piping for my new kitchen and bathroom. They need access to basement ceiling. I am putting things in boxes and putting on rolling carts so I can move around when needed. I am actually going to have to move the stack of wood I have leaning against the walls for the longest time. That should be fun. My hobby days are dwindling so may have to sell off some of this wood. But it sure is pretty to look at. :):)
I was doing some "cleaning" yesterday that involved organizing tubes, kits and relocating where I kept all of them. I think my set up is going to be better now, but thankfully I dont have to share the space with any repair guys ☺️

howsitwork

I was doing some "cleaning" yesterday that involved organizing tubes, kits and relocating where I kept all of them. I think my set up is going to be better now, but thankfully I dont have to share the space with any repair guys ☺️
glad to note from,previous emails you consider your husband repaired now so he'll be exempt from that statement??😂😂

magpens

My "further research", promised above , has not revealed what I hoped it would.

I found, on page 8 of the IAP Resources file for Bushings and Tubes for Woodcraft kits, a " Wall Street II Elegant Click BP - (AKA Sierra) kit "

This IAP Resources info specifies the tube length as 1.89", not quite the same value as given by the OP in the first post above ( 1.965" ) .

Going to the Woodcraft website and searching for " Wall Street II Elegant Click BP ", I found this link :

On the product page the Woodcraft product number comes up as 150865 .

Trying to go to their instruction sheet is a somewhat dodgy process. . The instructions apply to quite a few different product numbers.

There is no tube length specified in the instruction sheet.

So there still remains some uncertainty. . But that's where it stands. . Can't seem to go any further beyond that

glad to note from,previous emails you consider your husband repaired now so he'll be exempt from that statement??😂😂
Lol! Well… to be honest, he IS cramping my style at the moment! 😆 we have a 40'x50' workshop that is divided down the center with a wall & a large sliding door into (2) 20x50 spaces. Because "my" side is lined with shelves and has better lighting, he has decided to "occupy" the back 20 feet of space as his "temporary car project area". 🤨 I use the phrase "Temporary" very lightly … 🤨

The other side of the workshop has a 20foot bench running along the back wall, but it has bad lighting in there, so for now he is taking apart his "new to him, but in rough shape" MGB convertible and installing a bunch of LED shop lights in "his" side of the shop. So for now I have 1/3 of my shop shared with him (& all his gross car parts; it was a "barn find" and let's just say that the mice/rats found it first and left plenty of scents behind). I have a room freshener plugged in by my work bench and it smells lovely, but if you get within 8 feet of the car the edu de Rat scent starts to assault you.

The tires are shot and he's removed about 1/2 of the engine interior (& car interior as well) so it might be awhile before I can get him to be able to move it the other side of the shop. Right now it's up on jack stand and looks like it will be there awhile 🤨🤷🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

So far it's not been too problematic having him in that space (other than I like to work alone out there and so I feel edgy and crowded when he's in there working at the same time)… but I'm looking forward to when he can push the car to the open space on the other side of the shop wall. It's kinda funny, we have lived and worked together for the last 17 years (our desks were 10 feet apart in the same office for all that time) and we are the type who want to spend every minute together. but when it comes to my hobbies, I like solitude and his car project is cramping my style! 😆😆

Last edited:
My "further research", promised above , has not revealed what I hoped it would.

I found, on page 8 of the IAP Resources file for Bushings and Tubes for Woodcraft kits, a " Wall Street II Elegant Click BP - (AKA Sierra) kit "

This IAP Resources info specifies the tube length as 1.89", not quite the same value as given by the OP in the first post above ( 1.965" ) .

Going to the Woodcraft website and searching for " Wall Street II Elegant Click BP ", I found this link :

On the product page the Woodcraft product number comes up as 150865 .

Trying to go to their instruction sheet is a somewhat dodgy process. . The instructions apply to quite a few different product numbers.

There is no tube length specified in the instruction sheet.

So there still remains some uncertainty. . But that's where it stands. . Can't seem to go any further beyond that
Thank you for trying so hard! I had started to focus on that one as well but it's hard to get Info online from them. Of COURSE I was just there yesterday too 🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️😆
But I might just take one of my tubes down there and start lining them up with tubes they have on the shelf and see what I see. But I'll start with the elegant click ones first!

Top Bottom