Mylands friction polish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lefty

I have a bottle of Mylands friction polish that is 10-15 years old. Does it go bad? Can I still use it?

Thank you

its_virgil

Read the label for a "best if used by" or an expiration date. Hut Crysral Coat had an expiration date on the last bottle I had...years ago. Use some and see how it performs.
Don

lefty

Read the label for a "best if used by" or an expiration date. Hut Crysral Coat had an expiration date on the last bottle I had...years ago. Use some and see how it performs.
Don
Thanks. I'll try it out tomorrow. Not sure I'll know the difference though. I looked all over that bottle for a date but couldn't find one.

jrista

I have a bottle of Mylands friction polish that is 10-15 years old. Does it go bad? Can I still use it?

Thank you

It has shellac in it, which does go bad. And 10-15 years is a really long time... Pretty much anything I've ever used that had shellac in it, didn't last longer than a year. Some things don't last even 6 months.

The general experience I encounter with expired shellac-based finishes is dulling. Where a brand new bottle will get me a nice friction-polished shine, once the shellac goes bad, you might be able to start out with a shine, but within a minute, sometimes less, it will usually start to dull. Maybe just in spots, maybe over the whole area. That's generally my sign that the shellac is starting to go bad.

Top Bottom