My version of Tony's Hidden Corks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TellicoTurning

Hey Tony,
I tried a couple of the hidden corks this afternoon... I like them and may have to make them my signature bottle stoppers... I used the dowels and sleeves from Packardwoods. They come in packages of 10. The sleeves were yellow on this order and at first didn't think I liked the idea, but on the hidden corks, they work great.

The first is from a piece of Elm that was supposed to be the top of a peppermill, but I screwed up the body and I hate to waste wood.. the second is spalted maple. There's no finish on the maple and I need to harden a couple of soft spots.. the elm has one coat of poly and needs about 5 or 6 more to look good.

Apologize for the photos.. I just took them quick, down and dirty to show what I did, plus my son was home last week and made some "adjustments" to my camera and I'm getting crappy photos... not that were ever all that great.
20086150244_Elm.jpg

20086150256_Elm2.jpg

20086150313_Maple.jpg

20086150326_Maple2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Originally posted by ozmandus

Hey Tony,
I tried a couple of the hidden corks this afternoon... I like them and may have to make them my signature bottle stoppers... I used the dowels and sleeves from Packardwoods. They come in packages of 10. The sleeves were yellow on this order and at first didn't think I liked the idea, but on the hidden corks, they work great.

Chuck; Very nice. From what I can see these are the silicone sleeves rather than cork. What size is the bore?

Are you, "A traveler from an antique land" ??

"Boundless and bare, the lone and level sands stretch far away..."

tmhawk

Hey Chuck,
Those look GREAT! I like IT. Both of them are CLASSY, great wood and very cool shapes. The Spalted is going to look fantastic with some finish on it. I hope you sell a MILLION (let's see 1 million at $49.95 is enough to get a tank of gas, LOL).
Thanks for the photos. (Gives me some new ideas, muhahaha)
Good job Chuck.

great12b4ever

Chuck, are these the upgrade corks that the wineries prefer, or the silicone ones with the stepdown dowels. They look great, and you just added # 1,212 to my list of things to make. :D:D
PS: Is Tellico Plains, TN anywhere near Memphis or Nashville? We will be going thru parts of Tenn. on my July vacation trip to Ohio. ;)

Randy,
These are the silicone sleeves that I mentioned in earlier post.. they are on a step-down dowel that comes with the sleeves, these particular ones are from Packarwoods, but you can get them from CSUSA or Psi. The bore is pretty much same as Tony's notes.. 1 1/4" to fit over the bottle neck, about 1" deep, then a 3/8" hole for the step down dowel... really easy to do.

Rob, Tellico Plains is about 4 hours from Nashville... we are at the opposite end of the state from Mempnis.. about 1/2 way between Knoxville and Chattanooga. It's a little mountain town at the western edge of the Cherokee National Forest. If you remember the "Trail of Tears" when the government moved the Cherokee to Oklahoma, the trail started very near Tellico Plains.

Top Bottom