My vacuum pot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

Trying to learn new things and make a wider variety of blank materials, so I set up a stabilizing system.

Started with a pump, this was the highest rated budget pump on the Turn Tex site (https://www.turntex.com/help-center/cactus-juice-stabilizing-resources/98-selecting-a-vacuum-pump):

20180504_110439-1632x918.jpg

Next I needed a pot. There is a company about two blocks from my shop, Restaurant Equippers, with loads of high-quality stuff. The pot has 4mm thick sidewalls and holds 24 quarts, less than $30 - this is it https://www.equippers.com/salerno-24-quart-aluminum-stock-pot/wgsp005.asp

20180503_173119-918x1632.jpg

I needed a lid and tried polycarbonate - the 1/2" thick stuff started cracking the first time I used it. Curtis warned me that a thicker lid would be better, but I listened to a local expert and wasted $43. Not a total loss, cut it down, drilled holes in it, and used it to keep the wood weighed down - a 5 pound weight on top it works pretty well.

20180504_111514-918x1632.jpg

3/4" tempered glass works much better.

20180529_184811-918x1632.jpg

Got the tubing, gauge and valve kit from Turn Tex (Curtis). Drilled in the side of the pot to attach the hardware, rather than drilling the lid. JB Weld seals the hardware really well. Used a silicone baking sheet for the lid gasket.

First batch, used a 1/2 gallon pitcher to hold the wood and Cactus Juice - that worked fine. Got braver on the second batch and used a couple of gallons of juice in the pot itself. It gets easier every time.

There are many things I want to stabilize, and it isn't as hard to start as I thought it would be. Cost just under $300 for everything but the Cactus Juice.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brotherdale

Sweet setup! I like the idea of using a big pot like that and setting containers inside that with the wood and CJ. I think you will use less juice and save time on clean up.
I keep Tupperware containers with each different color that I use to set inside my chamber.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
IF you use containers inside the pot, make them as deep as possible. When you start the vacuum, the juice is going to bubble, but the more "head room" you have, the less you have to fidget with the vacuum.

Looks like a great setup!!

Trying to learn new things and make a wider variety of blank materials, so I set up a stabilizing system.

Started with a pump, this was the highest rated budget pump on the Turn Tex site (https://www.turntex.com/help-center/cactus-juice-stabilizing-resources/98-selecting-a-vacuum-pump):

View attachment 177489

Next I needed a pot. There is a company about two blocks from my shop, Restaurant Equippers, with loads of high-quality stuff. The pot has 4mm thick sidewalls and holds 24 quarts, less than $30 - this is it https://www.equippers.com/salerno-24-quart-aluminum-stock-pot/wgsp005.asp

View attachment 177488

I needed a lid and tried polycarbonate - the 1/2" thick stuff started cracking the first time I used it. Curtis warned me that a thicker lid would be better, but I listened to a local expert and wasted $43. Not a total loss, cut it down, drilled holes in it, and used it to keep the wood weighed down - a 5 pound weight on top it works pretty well.

View attachment 177490

3/4" tempered glass works much better.

View attachment 177491

Got the tubing, gauge and valve kit from Turn Tex (Curtis). Drilled in the side of the pot to attach the hardware, rather than drilling the lid. JB Weld seals the hardware really well. Used a silicone baking sheet for the lid gasket.

First batch, used a 1/2 gallon pitcher to hold the wood and Cactus Juice - that worked fine. Got braver on the second batch and used a couple of gallons of juice in the pot itself. It gets easier every time.

There are many things I want to stabilize, and it isn't as hard to start as I thought it would be. Cost just under $300 for everything but the Cactus Juice.

I have and use that exact vacuum pump and it works great. I've had zero problems with it so far. The only thing I would suggest is that you watch the pump oil level, and it might get cloudy if your wood is not very dry. I change my clear oil after stabilizing wood 2 times. If it gets cloudy then I change it after the run every time.

Top Bottom