My two latest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from darrin1200

darrin1200

Its been awhile since I showed something here. I guess its about time.

I have been moving into the kitless fountain pen world. These are my first two designs.

Both are done in acrylic, Blue Macaw and Red Shimmer.
Both have #6 Jowo nibs and a sections with 9X.75 threads.
I also used 12X.75mm single point cap threads. (I just recieved a triple 14mm that will be used on my next one.)

The blue one has a single metal ring in the cap, and I didn't hide the clip ring. I had to redo the finial a couple of times. Even this final one, I'm not quite happy with. Its critical to plan the steps to minimize rechucking the piece. Allignment is so important.

The red one has a hidden clip and 7 alluminum rings. These were cut and glued from .5mm sheet stock. I ended up redoing a few pieces here.

It took me 3 standard blanks for the Red one. The blue one only took two. The section threads are the killers when using #6 feeds. Now with the 14mm I can make a bigger section with more meat.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I am developing two different designs for now. One flat and cylidrical and the other rounded and a little curvy.

The Blue Macaw
Closed - 153.5mm
Open - 137.5mm
Cap Width - 14.5mm
Barrel width - 13.3mm
Section at grip point - 10.9mm
Weight Capped - 24g
Weight Open - 13g
attachment.php

attachment.php

The Red Shimmer
Closed - 153.5mm
Open - 137.5mm
Cap Width - 14.5mm
Barrel width - 13.3mm
Section at grip point - 10.9mm
Weight Capped - 24g
Weight Open - 13g
attachment.php

attachment.php

All comments are welcome.

Attachments

• CP0002-BlueMacaw (3) (800x600).jpg
    CP0002-BlueMacaw (3) (800x600).jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 466
  • CP0002-BlueMacaw (1) (800x600).jpg
    CP0002-BlueMacaw (1) (800x600).jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 459
  • CP0003-Red Shimmer (5) (800x600).jpg
    CP0003-Red Shimmer (5) (800x600).jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 424
  • CP0003- Red Shimmer parts.jpg
    CP0003- Red Shimmer parts.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 405
  • CP0003- Red Shimmer parts2.jpg
    CP0003- Red Shimmer parts2.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 449
  • DSCF4222 (768x1024).jpg
    DSCF4222 (768x1024).jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 454
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Janster

Nicely done. Have you thought about ( on the blue pen) making the finial lower ring thinner to match the clip ring? That would make the clip ring appear to be hidden, if they were the same dimensions. Be well....Jan

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful work Darrin! The pics help to appreciate the effort involved. Both are awesome; but #1 for me is the blue!, well maybe red, maybe blue, but the red is great....Can't decide - send both! :tongue:

Great pens!

Tom T

They are great pens for sure. I sort of favor the blue. Wonderful craftsmanship on both. Thanks for sharing what you have done and how you did it.

darrin1200

Tanks everyone for the compliments. There is a lot of learning curve to these. I have a green one and a copper one in progress.

Nicely done. Have you thought about ( on the blue pen) making the finial lower ring thinner to match the clip ring? That would make the clip ring appear to be hidden, if they were the same dimensions. Be well....Jan

The blue one came first. I tried making my own rings from an aluminum bar on the wood lathe. Getting thin rings, without breaking the majority has proved difficult. I didn't really want it that thick, but out of the four I made, that was the last one. The only thing I don't like about the clip ring, is that it has rounded edges. It makes the finial look like an addon rather than blending into the pen.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Tanks everyone for the compliments. There is a lot of learning curve to these. I have a green one and a copper one in progress.

The blue one came first. I tried making my own rings from an aluminum bar on the wood lathe. Getting thin rings, without breaking the majority has proved difficult. I didn't really want it that thick, but out of the four I made, that was the last one. The only thing I don't like about the clip ring, is that it has rounded edges. It makes the finial look like an addon rather than blending into the pen.
Nice work, Bud! The Red One works for me. I like the rounded top end!

Top Bottom