My sons first pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mredburn

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Let me start with my son is 32 years old. He has never and I mean never taken an interest in any of the many things I have done. A couple of weeks ago I was showing him the Sierra style wood pen I had made and he started asking questions.:eek: Seems he had an Idea about a making a pen and having the wood twist around the pen as it went up. SO... he made his first blank. It took three tries to get this one. He turned it and did his first ca finish. I started him off using bushings between centers. He used a PSI Pkmont kit. Mainly cause thats the donor kits I use and the only ones I have. He didn't like the center band so we threw it out and just used the brass for the tranny for the center band. He has lots of room for improvement, (like me) but this was his proto type to practice on. He has never turned anything on a lathe at all.

three pictures of the cap while he was finishing the lower section. Walnut and Oak twists.
jasons%252520first%252520pen%252520cap%2525202a.jpg
Jasons%252520first%252520pen%252520%252520cap1a.jpg
Jasons%252520first%252520pen%252520cap%2525203a.jpg

The finished pen
Jasons%252520first%252520pen%2525202a.jpg
Jasons%252520first%252520pen%2525203a.jpg

jasons%252520first%252520pen%2525201a.jpg
jasons%252520first%252520pen%2525204a.jpg

His next pen based on this design he wants to use purple heart and redwood burl. Only he wants to make it an all wood pen :eek:.

Go figure................

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Let me start with my son is 32 years old. He has never and I mean never taken an interest in any of the many things I have done. A couple of weeks ago I was showing him the Sierra style wood pen I had made and he started asking questions.:eek: Seems he had an Idea about a making a pen and having the wood twist around the pen as it went up. SO... he made his first blank. It took three tries to get this one. He turned it and did his first ca finish. I started him off using bushings between centers. He used a PSI Oakmont kit. Mainly cause thats the donor kits I use and the only ones I have. He didn't like the center band so we threw it out and just used the brass for the tranny for the center band. He has lots of room for improvement, (like me) but this was his proto type to practice on. He has never turned anything on a lathe at all.

three pictures of the cap while he was finishing the lower section. Walnut and Oak twists.

His next pen based on this design he wants to use purple heart and redwood burl. Only he wants to make it an all wood pen :eek:.

Go figure................

Wow, that is not a easy thing to make...!:eek:

Now, if he has no wood experience, how did he manage to work the wood for the twist...??? I reckon, I see "daddy's" hand on it, huh...???:biggrin:

The concept is good and of interesting general effect, amazing that I spend a life time working with wood and endup making the same twist pen concept, in acrylic (PR resin). I only have done that blank (sample) but, I will do more with the colours and translucency, I have in mind and see what happens...!

A 10 points for his first go...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 100_2527_(1).jpg
    100_2527_(1).jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
George, as in any father to son turning There is a guiding hand behind the scenes.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

IPD_Mr

It becomes quite special when you can enjoy time in the shop with your son. Congrats to you Mike and your son. May there be many more to go with it.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
It becomes quite special when you can enjoy time in the shop with your son. Congrats to you Mike and your son. May there be many more to go with it.

Thanks Mike, I must say i was astounded. Normally my son goes "uh huh thats nice dad" This time he was actually enthused about it. We will see if the bug bites or if he makes the next one and quits.

Matt he cut the blank on my mill.

Last edited:

bluwolf

Mike, you may have created a monster. Therer's always the possiblity you won't be able to get him out of the shop now.

wizard

That is a great looking pen. It's amazing that our kids can hit the ground running! Hope he keeps the interest up...those are some happy memories you are making..Enjoy..life goes by too fast. Regards, Doc

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
*the son* my boss wanted the pen, being a prototype i gave it to her. now her girlfriend wants a matching one. so far looks like i have at least 2 more to do. hers and mine, and i saw the pictures of the koa and want to make one out of that too...

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Cris, he has 4 kids and a wife, I may have to let him use my tools for a long time to come. Thats alright. Id rather let him use the shop and be involved than not.
I have however informed him that pens have a cost and that kit we use for the parts isnt free. Expecially if he starts making more than one or two.:biggrin:
Mike

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Nice work with your son on this one Mike. I'd bet if he reads these posts, it would give him even more encouragement. The design is really cool.

Top Bottom