My Son - Ironman!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
No turning today!

My son is in the Milwaukee Ironman (his first, 2 years of training).

Swam: 2.4 miles in 1 hr 14 minutes.

Biked: 112 miles in 6 hrs 44 minutes

Now gets to relax and run 26.2 miles :eek:

Attachments

• IMAG0018.jpg
    IMAG0018.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_2183.jpg
    IMG_2183.jpg
    405 KB · Views: 176
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
1/2 way through the marathon... Pace has slowed from 9:00 Minute miles to 11:00 minute miles for the last split... (13 miles to go).

Not like he hasn't been out there for 11 hours :eek: (he usually does 8:00 minute miles for shorter events (like a zillion miles).

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
DONE!

Total time: 12 hrs 57 minutes.

Have not talked to him. He will catch a ride back to Chicago as he was not allowed to take Monday off from work (that's OK, he's young :)).

Thank you to fellow IAP members for tolerating my thread! It was important to me... :redface:

bobleibo

Well done! 2 years of training for a 13 hour race.....that's dedication in it's finest form!

bobleibo

Just talked to Chris. He's pumped! Done and proud. Thanks to all for tolerating a personal pride moment.

And Bobleibo... I suspect you know the commitment. :)

ohhhhhh, yeahhhhhhhhh~ and I have the aches and bruises that go with it, except I'd be laying on the ground after, not going to work like your son. He is one tough kid.
This is from a few weeks ago. Those mountains in the background is the area where I live. Did I tell you how much I hate climbing? The guy I was riding with that day refers to them as his warm up - I avoid his phone calls a lot.

Attachments

• cycling 8-2-15.jpg
    cycling 8-2-15.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 93

bobleibo

That time of his is pretty fast even for an experienced person, let alone his first one. I bet he's going to be flying on clouds for weeks. (check out the girl in the background staring at him, she sure was impressed :biggrin: )

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I have not seen any pictures yet. His name is Chris Haslam (actually my Nephew, since age 2, when his parents died in a plane accident - both were going to a Skydiving competition, Chris is our godson).

And he will not lose time resting... He has a Marathon in 4 weeks, then going to the Skydiving Nationals next spring - somewhere in the southwest??? His team from Chicago (a 4 way team) qualified for the Nationals.

Chris was a very dull kid...... :biggrin::):tongue:

bobleibo

Dull is certainly not the first thing that comes to mind...keep us posted on how he does.

Congratulations to a job well done... I admire those of you and all the guys/gals that have the fortitude to do these... I don't swim, so couldn't myself and haven't run more than a few feet since I was about 15 years... and at 74 ain't about to start now.

My daughter did the iron man marathons for a number of years when she was younger... had to stop after she got clipped by a car and knocked off her bike and wound up with a couple of cracked vertebrae... after surgery and a few years, she's back to doing the long bike rides and just this weekend did a long run, but can't do the swimming any more... plus she's over 50 now and needs to slow down just a little.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
TellicoTurning;1795136 plus she's over 50 now and needs to slow down just a little.[/QUOTE said:
Hi Chuck! So over 50 we need to slow down??? I'm checking all my gauges to make sure I'm slowing down... Yea, too late... I'm very slow! :biggrin:

Best regards, Mark

TellicoTurning;1795136 plus she's over 50 now and needs to slow down just a little.[/QUOTE said:
Hi Chuck! So over 50 we need to slow down??? I'm checking all my gauges to make sure I'm slowing down... Yea, too late... I'm very slow! :biggrin:

Best regards, Mark

I slowed down when I was a lot younger than Chris.... and by now I'm enough over 50 that I'm down to a slow crawl... maybe a snail's pace... just can't get in that much of a hurry.

Top Bottom