My Segmented Pen Entry into Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jttheclockman

jttheclockman

I thought I would give this pen its just due by showing and explaining its making in its own thread. Sort of proud of this one. It did fight me but in the end I won I think. :) The pen blank is constructed of a black acrylic which I poured in Silmar41 resin and has aluminum dots and bars inserted in the lower barrel. These were done using my lathe with an indexing wheel and my router setup no lasers were used.

The cap has the same black acrylic and trim rings of aluminum. I then turned down the center portion to reveal a window which I proceeded to use some Irish Linen thread which they use in pool cue making. This is where this blank fought me. I got it wrapped and then as I usually do with using fishing pole makers thread, I coated with a color preserver. and cast in Liquid Diamonds resin. Well when I took out of the pot the thread turned black. In the 3rd photo I show here you will see I was using black and white thread which I thought would look nice as a contrast. So I proceded to turn that off and try again this time using Silmar41 thinking that may work. Same thing happened. To make a long story short I tried 4 different times doing various things like top coating with nail polish, coating with a thin layer of resin before I cast and all failed. So I reverted to fishing pole thread and used a metalic thread . As it turned out I think it was a happy mistake because it looks better.

So here is my rendition of a segmented pen entered into Segmenting Contest. Thanks for looking and any comments or questions always welcomed.

Bash 2024 segmented black and silver pen closed #1 good..jpg  for Bash contest 2024.jpg
Bash 2024 sgmented pen contest open black and silver #2.JPG second copy.jpg for Bash contest 2...jpg
IMGP0492.JPG second copy.jpg for Bash 2024.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Thanks everyone for the kind words. At least I know there are some that still like some of my work so I will keep showing pens when I get done. I liked this one myself. I think the thread wrap on the cap actually looks better than what I had originally planned so a mistake that turned out well. I wish all my mistakes would do that. :)

Top Bottom