My second go, at this mongrel idea...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi peoples,

I wouldn't remember my thread about the glow in the dark beads made into a bowl, here...????

Well, some of you may also remember that, I wan't happy at all with the casting results and that, I promised to try again, some other time, right...???

Some time ago I saw on sale these same beads but in blue, instead of the green from last time, they were sold in packs of 100, I had no idea how many I used the last time, as they were sold per bag never saying the quantity inside.

Anyway, when I got the pack, I realise that, the bag was way smaller then my previous one, about 1/3 or so, that meant that, I couldn't used the same mold as before as intended but, a smaller one that I need to find.

I remembered a set of 3 stainless steel containers that the wife had in the kitchen, we use them often so, I grabbed 2 of then (the biggest and the smaller one from that one), they were made with the same angles so, they would be ideal for the top and bottom molds needed.

Never said anything to the wife, until a couple of days later, she asked me if I have seen those 2 containers and I replied asking her to go to the work-shop and have a look on top of the bandsaw table...!

This was she found, 044b.jpg

The only thing she asked was, "how are you going to get them out...???"

I explained that, I had cover the resin contact areas with the demolder liquid I have so, I wasn't expecting any troubles at all in remove them after the glue was set/harden...!

Now, going back one day, I constructed the beads frame as before, thick CA and accelerator on the contact points, after that I had to make some high spots with CA to bring the beads frame, up a little allowing some resin to be poured and stay a few mm thick from the beads, this was also made on some inner spots for the same purpose/reason.

The idea was to make the cast thicker than the first time and do it in such way that, after turning the both surfaces to satisfaction, I would never cut through the beads, they would be suspended in the clear resin. Those hight spots were made by putting a drop a the thick CA and accelerator immediately, I required about 4 or 5 drops to achieve the desired hight...!

018.JPG017.JPG019.JPG021.JPG

I needed to make sure that this time, I would use the same Pearlex powder but, I tiny bit of it, I wanted only a small ting of the blue pearl swaying in the almost clear resin.

I believe, I had it right, it looked good in the clear glass mixing container so, I poured it very gently to avoid trapping any air bubbles. Why was this important...??? because the mold was just about 5mm to wide to fit in my pressure pot, and that was a big worry to me.

The way the mold was made and secured, is visible in this pic 020BB.jpg

You can also see that, the mold is not totally filled, that is because I wanted to build the rim of the bowl with a lawyer of the dark purple/Shimmered violet, and I had a little wire tool that I was going to use to created some effects of the dark violet, right down the outer surface of the bowl.

It was a very cold night, when I was doing this, I have used a reduced amount of the hardener to avoid any cracks, I was aware that the mix would take longer to gell so, I waited 30 minutes or so, and kept testing the resin viscosity all of the time. I had the shimmer violet already mixed so, it could be poured at any time.

I waited, and waited, and waited, after an hour of waiting, I was cold, Merissa was calling for dinner and, I had enough so, I poured the darker resin and buy the time I grabbed the wire piece I had made, I could hardly see any of the darker violet on the surface.:eek:

I knew that, this shimmered violet powder, is extremely heavy, I new container comes almost empty, compared with most other colours so, being heavier was nothing new but, having the first resin pour so soft still after 1 hour, that was strange and unexpected so, I never used the wire, it would have been useless...!

I knew that the shimmered violet would be on the bottom of the mold, I was uncertain of how much darker it would male the first resin pour and if would spoil the whole thing to me, again...!

Well, it did, and I'm not happy about it, the molds used gave a prefect cast surface both in and out, the blue PVC demolder liquid worked as it was suppose to, the molds were clean of resin, the only problem I had in the demolding process was because, the inner mold had a rolled lip and some resin got into those crevesses, making it very difficult to separate but, with some perseverance the inner mold come out.

I could then see where the dark violet resin was, and how it did not sunk all to the bottom, some was suspended as it went through the first pour and as I was predicting, making that pour a lot darker than intended.

This was the result...!

001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG005.JPG

An improvement from the last one, no doubt but, nothing compared to what I wanted/visualized. The cast has not been turned yet to clean any of the demolding and other residue seen in the resin surfaces, and I am in no rush to do any more to it for a while, if ever.

In general, was a disappointment and certainly the end of my intentions/wishes to try again, I had enough of these illuminous beads bowl making/casting...!:frown:

Sometimes, you just need to cut your losses, and move on...!:)

Cheers
George

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MarkD

Thanks for sharing George. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Things don't always work out but if we don't try we will never advance the craft!

robutacion

Thanks for sharing George. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Things don't always work out but if we don't try we will never advance the craft!

Yeah, sure I agree, and I gave it a good go, in my head I know how I want it to look but, various circumstances have got in a way on both attempts and I'm satisfied with the failure aspect of the idea, sometimes is almost impossible to reproduce and image that we created in our minds, and I'm OK with that, now...!:wink::biggrin:

PS: I reckon that, my attempt to make PR be as soft and flexible as Alumilite, has pushed the limits of the hardener/catalyst PR mix requirements, I can't tell how long it did take to thicken/gell but, the following morning, I could make an indentation on the resin surface with my finger so, it cured very slow, indeed...!

Cheers
George

79spitfire

Could you answer a question for me?

Why do your 'failures' look better than most other's 'successes'???

I'm thinking once that is turned and polished it's going to be another slice of awesome, from 'down under'...

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I'm thinking once that is turned and polished it's going to be another slice of awesome, from 'down under'...

I'm thinking the same thing. Maybe not how you envisioned it, but I'll be interested in the final turning.

Also George, I've been looking, putting dow, looking, putting down the acorn cast you did for my Father-in-law. Some ideas are brewing, so hopefully I'll have something to show for another of your "Challanges." And the two larger casts I think would make nice desk pen holders?

Be well and hope you and Merissa are OK!

robutacion

Could you answer a question for me?

Why do your 'failures' look better than most other's 'successes'???

Well, you asked the question, you deserve to have an answer...!:wink:

There are always at least two sides of everything we do, the failure that I am talking about, is in the way I wanted the bowl top ring to be, I have a clear idea of how I wanted to finish that edge, and the effects I planned to make with the darker violet using this wire tool that I bent and shaped, to achieve the results I wanted I knew very possible, if the first resin pour had gelled as I was waiting for it to happen.

Has a consequence, the dark violet went where I didn't wanted it to, spoiling not only the way I wanted to rim to look but also, spoiling the transparency of the resin that I wanted to cover 98% of the bowl's surface. I have known that, it would have been better to only use the first our but that, was not what I wanted to achieve, in the first place so, it may not be a total failure but, is certainly not what I planned for when I decided to give the idea another go.

The other side of this experiment/exercise that, can be seen as a success and a good method to create these type casting, is the type of molds used, the way they were "braced" to maintain an equal gap all around, and the way the beads were prepared/built, as the skeleton of this bowl. All these steps went as expected/planned so, everything was OK in the preparations.

So yes, not everything was a failure however, the way it turned out to the way I worked/aimed for, that to me, and for the reasons explained above, that was a failure and the reason of me being upset about it.

I suppose, all this have to do with a fairly bad run, of projects/jobs that I have done lately, 2 out of 3 go "pear shape" and that frustrates beyond belief...!:frown:

I'm not used to failure with my work, particularly when become "operator error", simple things become a big thing and that is just ridiculous.

Now, what is happening here, is no more than a self judgment and a reality, some folks claim that I'm sometimes a little harsh in judging others however, I judge myself based on the exact same criteria, and If I don't like the way its going, I say so without any reservations.

That's a sort of "vent" that feels a lot better when it comes out...!:)

It will get better...!:wink:

Cheers
George

robutacion

If you don't wanna turn that down,Just send it to me,I'd like to try and turn a resin cast that big.

Well mate, it that makes you happy, you can have it, you just pay for the shipping.

I will weigh it and let you know.

There is only one condition, you will have it turned/finished and shown on IAP, within 4 weeks from when you receive the parcel, deal...???:)

Cheers
George

79spitfire

Thank you. I should have realized your angst. I've had the same thing happen, the failure that looked like a success to everyone else.

Well, don't give up now! You have the process down, it's just a matter of the details at this point!

Dale Lynch

If you don't wanna turn that down,Just send it to me,I'd like to try and turn a resin cast that big.

Well mate, it that makes you happy, you can have it, you just pay for the shipping.

There is only one condition, you will have it turned/finished and shown on IAP, within 4 weeks from when you receive the parcel, deal...???:)

Cheers
George

Deal, Thanks George, by thw ay what are the dimentions? I only have a 16" swing

Last edited:

robutacion

Cheers
George

Deal, Thanks George, by thw ay what are the dimentions? I only have a 16" swing

You have plenty of lathe, this piece is only 9" round x 3" deep...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom