My resin dried in the can

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tommy2tone

I got a gallon of silmar 40 that is dried up. I punched a hole in the top because the lid was stuck. I put tape over the hole but must of not did a good job. It is half full. It just seems like there is a layer that is hardened. If i squeeze the bottom half it is mushy (like a new can would).

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PSNCO

A few days ago, I rec'd my silmar 41 resin. I opened it. Did some pours and put the lid on. The next day my lid was "fused", too. I removed the plastic bung, got the screw top loosened, but the bung wouldn't go back in. It's now corked with a rubber stopper from a home brewing supply store.

I looked for the quart sized rectangular cans to transfer this stuff into. I can't find them locally. Whoever had the bright idea of putting a plastic bung/screwtop on a can of poyresin should be shot. I'm ordering online 6-8 quart sized cans with a metal lid and will transfer this can and my other can into the quart sized cans. The quart sized cans are easier to handle and I shouldn't run into this problem again.

Anyone know if you can refill a metal can after it's empty of the previous PR with newer PR?

Last edited:

Ed McDonnell

I always clean the threads on the can, after pouring out some resin, before screwing the cap back on. The cap comes right off next time every time. A paper towel with alcohol is what I use for cleaning.

I use a 1 qt glass mason jar (with a metal screw lid) as my working container. I refill it from the gallon can when it is close to empty. I've been using the same mason jar for 2 years now and I've not had any problems. I also clean the threads with alcohol after pouring from the mason jar. No stuck lids for me. The wide mouth on the mason jars make them really easy to fill from the gallon can without spilling.

Ed

Last edited:

PR_Princess

I use a plastic jug with a handle.(A milk jug should work fine - recycle code 2.) They are cheap and disposable when they get too tacky. (I am not nearly as neat as Ed. :eek::redface:)

Also you might want to make sure that you store your resin in a cool and dry spot - especially during the summer months. Most resins are "pre-catalyalized" with a starter. This will make it "kick-off" if it gets warm enough for long enough.

navycop

I use a plastic jug with a handle.(A milk jug should work fine - recycle code 2.) They are cheap and disposable when they get too tacky. (I am not nearly as neat as Ed. :eek::redface:)

Also you might want to make sure that you store your resin in a cool and dry spot - especially during the summer months. Most resins are "pre-catalyalized" with a starter. This will make it "kick-off" if it gets warm enough for long enough.

The same thing happened to me and I even store mine indoors. It is in the laundry room off the garage..So it should of been cool enough to not harden? Luckily it was only half full..

Top Bottom