My recent Roman Harvest / Cambridge RB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from 1shootist

1shootist

Roman Harvest / Cambridge in Holy. A few coats of medium ca and polish. Has a few blemishs on the upper barrel that I didnt notice until it was assembled though I think I'll just let it be and chalk it up to a learning experience.

PSX_20190830_183426.jpg
PSX_20190830_184312.jpg
PSX_20190830_183659.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1shootist

Great job! I haven't tried turning holly yet. How does it turn? Any special issues?
This was my first go at it aswell. I really enjoyed turning the wood, it's soft yet a solid piece of wood. I used a somewhat sharp round carbide to get the edges off then switched to a fairly new squared carbide to finish..it turned so easy it was like shaving ice chips off, very fine and lite shavings. It definitely required a lite touch, being too heavy handed would easily dig into the wood before you know it.

Reactions: DrD

1shootist

Where did you get the holly? It look blemish-free (natural blemishes, eg knot holes, etc).
They are nice looking blanks, I bought a couple and only found 2 very small color blemishes on 1 of them. They were purchased at Craft Supplies USA, at $2.30 per, heres the stock number for the them, 1041780010

Top Bottom