My PWP Entry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dehn0045

Dehn0045

Still unable to make it out of the first round. Got a little closer this time. I felt really good about this one, but the wood didn't come through in photos quite how I would have liked. I hadn't made a pen in a while, so I'm glad the competition gave me the motivation to make one.

The wood is spalted magnolia that I found alongside the road. The kit is a Dinero from woodpenpro

Attachments

• PSX_20200817_211540.jpg
    PSX_20200817_211540.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 243
  • PSX_20200817_211414.jpg
    PSX_20200817_211414.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 213
  • PSX_20200817_211215.jpg
    PSX_20200817_211215.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 196
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

henry1164

I voted for your pen! I like the wood AND the pen style. I also didn't make it to round two - my photos where crappy. One photo below was one of the two photos posted in the contest. The second two are better photos that I should have used. I will try again next year with better pics.

Attachments

• IMG_3928.jpeg
    IMG_3928.jpeg
    260.6 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_3875.jpeg
    IMG_3875.jpeg
    350.9 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_3876.jpeg
    IMG_3876.jpeg
    280 KB · Views: 156

jttheclockman

I voted for your pen! I like the wood AND the pen style. I also didn't make it to round two - my photos where crappy. One photo below was one of the two photos posted in the contest. The second two are better photos that I should have used. I will try again next year with better pics.
My suggestion, loose the hand when showing pens here. Save that for facebook. They do not care there. My philosophy on this is if you took the time to make the pen what is a couple extra seconds to lay it down on something and shoot the photo. We do not need to see your hands. It is a huge pet peeve of mine that drives me crazy. We are a hurry up world today but we go nowhere. OK rant is over. But no one will change my mind.

Joebobber

My suggestion, loose the hand when showing pens here. Save that for facebook. They do not care there. My philosophy on this is if you took the time to make the pen what is a couple extra seconds to lay it down on something and shoot the photo. We do not need to see your hands. It is a huge pet peeve of mine that drives me crazy. We are a hurry up world today but we go nowhere. OK rant is over. But no one will change my mind.
I think that was my problem in the slimline contest. I had the sycamore burl, i think i came in 7th. I noticed the top 5 were all on white or a paper towel. I was sideways on a homemade pen atand.

henry1164

That was not the photo that was entered in the contest. It was just to show that there was other better photos of this pen.

jttheclockman

I think that was my problem in the slimline contest. I had the sycamore burl, i think i came in 7th. I noticed the top 5 were all on white or a paper towel. I was sideways on a homemade pen atand.

Will say this when I use to enter those contests I found photography does play a roll. People may not think so but what it does is shows off the pen better. I know every computer or viewing device has color issues and it gets tough to really show the blank and or pen. But a gallant effort goes a long way. Especially when doing contests because as I said you took the time to do all the hard work in making the pen. I know I am farrrrrrrrrrrr from being a good photographer and still to this day have not settled in on an exact method to shoot pens. setting the lights just right is or does not come easy to me. I do not play around with camera settings because my knowledge is limited. But I try my best. There are articles in the library that help explain things if that is in your wheelhouse. But getting things pointed in the right direction and getting in focus is a start. Keep trying new setups and go from there. Good luck.

That was not the photo that was entered in the contest. It was just to show that there was other better photos of this pen.

I know and the pen is probably very nice but I am being honest. When I see someone post a pen here or on FB that is being held in their grubby hands or spinning in the hand I do not bother to open it. Have no interest. Now if something really jumps at me I may take a look. But it would have to be stunning. Sorry this is just me and my petpeeve. I am sure you have some petpeeves too as we all do. It was just a friendly suggestion for I mean no disrespect for your work. Take care and Happy Turning.

Joebobber

I made it to the 2nd round. Not saying which pen is mine, but my picture that is posted for the 2nd round is the 3rd picture I submitted. My 1st 2 pictures are the better ones. If that helps you any. Next time I'm only submitting 1- the best one I think. Your other pictures are really nice. Very good job and regardless of the outcome you made an extremely nice pen and you should feel proud!

Joebobber

Will say this when I use to enter those contests I found photography does play a roll. People may not think so but what it does is shows off the pen better. I know every computer or viewing device has color issues and it gets tough to really show the blank and or pen. But a gallant effort goes a long way. Especially when doing contests because as I said you took the time to do all the hard work in making the pen. I know I am farrrrrrrrrrrr from being a good photographer and still to this day have not settled in on an exact method to shoot pens. setting the lights just right is or does not come easy to me. I do not play around with camera settings because my knowledge is limited. But I try my best. There are articles in the library that help explain things if that is in your wheelhouse. But getting things pointed in the right direction and getting in focus is a start. Keep trying new setups and go from there. Good luck.

I know and the pen is probably very nice but I am being honest. When I see someone post a pen here or on FB that is being held in their grubby hands or spinning in the hand I do not bother to open it. Have no interest. Now if something really jumps at me I may take a look. But it would have to be stunning. Sorry this is just me and my petpeeve. I am sure you have some petpeeves too as we all do. It was just a friendly suggestion for I mean no disrespect for your work. Take care and Happy Turning.
Yeah I make my wife take my pictures because I shake so bad. Thank goodness it isn't a photography contest! I'm proud people actually voted for mine, as I have only been turning a few years and am completely self taught with homemade tools. I knew I would not win, but I feel like I did.

jttheclockman

Yeah I make my wife take my pictures because I shake so bad. Thank goodness it isn't a photography contest! I'm proud people actually voted for mine, as I have only been turning a few years and am completely self taught with homemade tools. I knew I would not win, but I feel like I did.
It is funny you say that, we use to have a photo contest in the winter Bash contests. There are some really good photogs here that know what they are doing. :) We do the best we can and go from there. Just be proud you entered and the forum got a chance to see your work. Maybe learn from it and try again in the winter. That is when all the big guns come out to play. Happy Turning.

robutacion

There is no doubt that not being able to produce quality photos in these situations one runs the risk to undervalue their own work simply by pour pics or wrong light, there are many guys and gals here that perfected the photos quality and their work simply shows perfectly, that is crucial in judging pen or other items contests.

Maybe spending a little time working out the best location, light and time to take those pics that will help you considerably in the future.

PS: By no means I take quality pics, mine are pretty average but sometimes that is not good enough.

Cheers
George

Joebobber

Dont feel bad. What I was trying to say without giving away anything was if you have a picture that is really good, use it. If the rest are not as good, don't use them. Look at my pen, I was in 1st place after the 1st round. I ended up 2nd to last. The picture i entered was this 1, then I decided to enter 2 more to go with it. So you see, my cell phone picture was good, but my other 2 camera pics not so much. It's all about the picture.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200827-202746_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200827-202746_Samsung Internet.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 139

Fred Bruche

Dont feel bad. What I was trying to say without giving away anything was if you have a picture that is really good, use it. If the rest are not as good, don't use them. Look at my pen, I was in 1st place after the 1st round. I ended up 2nd to last. The picture i entered was this 1, then I decided to enter 2 more to go with it. So you see, my cell phone picture was good, but my other 2 camera pics not so much. It's all about the picture.

You might be looking at it the wrong way, Joe. Your pen actually finished 5th out of 19th entries ;)

As to get a better picture, I would first "clean" the background (it currently has a lot of distracting features) and choose a color tone that is not as similar to your pen.

Joebobber

I completely agree with that assessment. I have no doubt that the next time I enter a contest I will be much better prepared. This was the first time I participated in the contests and only the 2nd one I've ever been in. Experience and knowledge gained 👨‍🎓

Top Bottom