My problem with kitless pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dalecamino

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Just too many design options. I can't decide which I like best. Care to help? I used the blanks I received from Exoticblanks as part of my 2nd place prize in the advanced pen contest during the birthday bash. I made another brass finial, and had it Rhodium plated by W.F. Scott & Co. Thanks for looking, and help with which design, if you wish.

Attachments

• IMG_1469.JPG
    IMG_1469.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_1470.JPG
    IMG_1470.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_1475.jpg
    IMG_1475.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_1473.JPG
    IMG_1473.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_1474.JPG
    IMG_1474.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_1476.JPG
    IMG_1476.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_1478.JPG
    IMG_1478.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_1479.jpg
    IMG_1479.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 244
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rink

Metal Blanks?

Hi. I'm new to the forum. The pens in these pictures are beautiful. Classic styling, classy, and not overdone. My kinda style for sure. Are those metal blanks? If so, can you tell me a bit about working with metal for pen making?

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Your problem is your cap finial design doesnt match the pen body finial. You have a stepped cap finial with rounded shoulders and a button insert. Your finial on the pen body has none of these. If you mimicked the cap with a small shoulder/ step and rounded the end a little more it would tie in the two end designs.

Robert111

Your problem is your cap finial design doesnt match the pen body finial. You have a stepped cap finial with rounded shoulders and a button insert. Your finial on the pen body has none of these. If you mimicked the cap with a small shoulder/ step and rounded the end a little more it would tie in the two end designs.

I'm imagining the pen with a similar finial on the barrel, and I think Mike's right. It would probably require slimming down the barrel some too, which I think might be good for posting the cap. But all that being said, I really like it as is, too.

I always admire your custom metal work. Do the bands you put on the cap lip need to be made on a metal lathe?

OKLAHOMAN

Yep what Mike and Robert said so just send it to me to keep it from causing you all this concern,you don't have to thank me thats what friends are for.

Tom T

I like them all, but if I had to choose one. It would be the one with more metal on the top. I like the round metal with the insert on top. It is extra smooth looking.
As always great work.

bluwolf

Chuck, what Mike and Robert said. But the color choices/combinations and the design of the rest of both pens is terrific! There's no reason to choose between them. Some one is definitely going to like both.

Mike

BigShed

Agree with Mike as well. The individual components are all superb, but they don't quite work together.

Great work as usual mate!

johncrane

For me it's hard too tell someone how to change there pen,for me looking at photo 4&5 id like to flatten or lower the cap finial to match the bottom and i would use the first pens clip with the changed finial,, id go with the black finial black center and black end finial, if you use the last pens color id match it with the same cap finial same color with the black center. about now you probably be saying! what's tha --- this bloke smoking.:rolleyes::biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Hi. I'm new to the forum. The pens in these pictures are beautiful. Classic styling, classy, and not overdone. My kinda style for sure. Are those metal blanks? If so, can you tell me a bit about working with metal for pen making?
Welcome to the IAP! I'm pleased you like the pen(s) The gray blank is acrylic called "Metallic Silver" from exoticblanks.com The black cap is also acrylic. The bands are aluminum. I used that because I have plenty. To learn about working with metal for pens, you should visit the IAP library. Too much involved for me to explain it in this thread. Thanks for your comments.

I like the first one it looks like a Pelikan style nice great job.
Thanks I like Pelikan pens.

Thank you Mike. I understand what you are saying, and agree it would look better that way. Will give it a try soon.

I'm imagining the pen with a similar finial on the barrel, and I think Mike's right. It would probably require slimming down the barrel some too, which I think might be good for posting the cap. But all that being said, I really like it as is, too.

I always admire your custom metal work. Do the bands you put on the cap lip need to be made on a metal lathe?
Thank you Robert. I make those inserts on the metal lathe, because it's the easiest way for me. I suppose you could make them on the wood lathe, but it's much more accurate to use the metal lathe.

Now you're just showing off!!! :tongue:

I can't decide which one either! They all look great!
LOL! Thanks Fred. I'm just still learning.:wink:

Yep what Mike and Robert said so just send it to me to keep it from causing you all this concern,you don't have to thank me thats what friends are for.
Thanks Roy! Just go out and stand by your mail box tomorrow:biggrin:

As shown, the second pen. With a reshaped cap finial though, the first would win going away.
Thank you very much!

I like them all, but if I had to choose one. It would be the one with more metal on the top. I like the round metal with the insert on top. It is extra smooth looking.
As always great work.
Thanks Tom!

I like all of those design options. Great pens.
Thanks Mike!

Sorry Chuck - I like them all.
Thank you anyway Bruce!

Agree with Mike as well. The individual components are all superb, but they don't quite work together.

Great work as usual mate!
Thank you Fred, I see now what you guys have pointed out to me. Makes perfect sense.

For me it's hard too tell someone how to change there pen,for me looking at photo 4&5 id like to flatten or lower the cap finial to match the bottom and i would use the first pens clip with the changed finial,, id go with the black finial black center and black end finial, if you use the last pens color id match it with the same cap finial same color with the black center. about now you probably be saying! what's tha --- this bloke smoking.:rolleyes::biggrin:
LOL, thanks John! Clear as mud :biggrin:

Nice work! What material are the rings?
Thanks friend! The bands are aluminum. I have lots of it.:biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Chuck, what Mike and Robert said. But the color choices/combinations and the design of the rest of both pens is terrific! There's no reason to choose between them. Some one is definitely going to like both.

Mike
Thank you Mike. I suppose more pens would solve the problem as well.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom