My newest creation! The “Slipstream” by Troubadour! Need some feedback from both makers and aficionados in general…

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TheTroubadourPensmith

Joined
Feb 11, 2026
Messages
10
Location
USA
This is my newest model, the "Slipstream." It's an A.T. Cross-style twist. I'm going to also build a Parker version so that you can use gels and whatnot. I'm an aviation obsessive as well as a professional Pensmith and this is an amalgamation of two of my greatest loves. I really enjoy this particular hardware kit which I have never seen anywhere but a local woodworker's shop here in the Bay Area. I really like how the nib looks - it reminds me a lot of the center cone of a turbofan. The profile is very aerodynamic, going from 10mm at the apex of the mid-section, gently tapering down to 9mm at both ends. Very sleep and subtle. I felt like it would just look "off" with the clip at the back, so I've installed it at the nib end and I think it really completes the "flying" look! Main wood is King Cocobolo and midsection is Gonçalo Alves. The grip lines are burning in with guitar strings - six lines, my maker's mark. The sections are separated by small bands of real, raw brass. I'm including the sales copy I wrote down below here. Let me know what you think! I really respect this community's insights!

Slipstream: the wake a vessel leaves behind as it moves through the air.

With its aerodynamic and ergonomic design, the Slipstream is a writing utensil poised to take you places. This pen is inspired by my intense love of aviation, and like the fuselage of a sleek aircraft, its shape is evocative of elegance and speed. When people notice the backward, nib-mounted clip, they will immediately pause to take note of this unique-looking feature, and quickly realize that it wouldn't look right any other way; that this is something different altogether. They will see that you are a pilot, maneuvering your beautifully strange craft over the page, leaving your mark in its wake...

What will you leave behind in your own Slipstream?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6957.jpeg
    IMG_6957.jpeg
    440.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_6959.jpeg
    IMG_6959.jpeg
    376.3 KB · Views: 107
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
How do you write with that without that clip being in the way.
Just doesnt look right to me.

It does look different, but...

It is very like the Pilot/Namiki Vanishing Point which is a retractable fountain pen introduced by Pilot in 1963. I have one and absolutely love it. A great EDC fountain pen and I have never once thought while using it, hey... that clip is sure annoying. The bonus is that this design keeps it nib up in your pocket!!
 
I like it and think it is a neat idea. The clip may be bothersome for some, but not all. Look at the various shapes, sizes and designs of nibs on some of today's kits.
 
Back
Top Bottom