My new set up...Weeeeeeeeeeee

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hello everyone, first off a huge thanks to rdunn12 for a killer deal on a nice Vacuum pump, hes a heck of a nice guy. Well the only thing thats left is to get a vacuum gauge and tie it in, but I had to try it first. Then I need to make a carrying crate for it all to sit in, I think I will wir up a switched plug as the pump has no on off switch, but does have a open/close vacuum switch. I have some splated ash in the pot as we speak in plexi/acetone mix(fingers crossed). What do you guys think??? I will try casting maybe next week or so. Thanks for looking, Victor
IMG_2154.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ElMostro

Victor, Congrats!!
Not sure if you are aware but applying vacuum causes the Plexi-tone mix to bubble and overflow, so don't be surprized if when you open the pot some of the solution flowed over and you have a sticky mess in the pot.;)

Eugene

I had the venturi, but not anymore, I'm moving up in the world. Oh I found out the hard way with the bubble up, trying to find a 6 x 6 square container that is tall to prevent this. The first blanks look good so far, we will see friday when i cut a full blank in half and see what we get. Use 3/8 black pipe to save money then bump down to the 1/4 at the lid, to mu surprise the galv. fitting cost more then the black pipe???? Thanks for the feed back, Victor

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Can't tell for sure, but it looks to me like you removed the pressure relief valve. While that's okay for vacuum, if you intend to use for pressure, I would recommend putting it back on

I will release the pressure with one of the ball valves. The pressure release valve that came with it w3as junk. I don't think it will make a difference how I release to pressure, will it? thanks, Victor

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Originally posted by LandfillLumber

I will release the pressure with one of the ball valves. The pressure release valve that came with it w3as junk. I don't think it will make a difference how I release to pressure, will it? thanks, Victor
The release valve is not to be used to release the pressure when you are done, it is a safety valve that is designed to release if the pressure exceeds the rating of the tank. If for some reason your compressor delivers more than 80 psi, which is the tank rating, this valve would protect the tank from a potential explosion. If you are going to use it for pressure, it would be a very good idea to put it back on. Do a Google search for pressure tank explosions if you want to see what can happen. Its not pretty.

rherrell

Originally posted by BRobbins629

The release valve is not to be used to release the pressure when you are done, it is a safety valve that is designed to release if the pressure exceeds the rating of the tank. If for some reason your compressor delivers more than 80 psi, which is the tank rating, this valve would protect the tank from a potential explosion. If you are going to use it for pressure, it would be a very good idea to put it back on. Do a Google search for pressure tank explosions if you want to see what can happen. Its not pretty.

I didn't know that. I guess I've been doing it wrong all this time.

sbell111

Originally posted by BRobbins629The release valve is not to be used to release the pressure when you are done, it is a safety valve that is designed to release if the pressure exceeds the rating of the tank. If for some reason your compressor delivers more than 80 psi, which is the tank rating, this valve would protect the tank from a potential explosion. If you are going to use it for pressure, it would be a very good idea to put it back on. Do a Google search for pressure tank explosions if you want to see what can happen. Its not pretty.
I removed my release valve, also. However, I monitor the guages when pressurizing, so there is no way that the pressure can increase to a level that would blow the vessel. Plus, I suspect that the pressure would have to get very high over the rated limit of 80 psi before failure was achieved.

Using the tank like I will I'm not worried about it much(blowing up).I will only run a vac. or pressure at short bursts and will watch the gauges to guide me, as mentioned a lot of pressure to blow it up. Its not the tank that would fail, most likely it would be a fitting that I installed or the port through the lid. This is only my opinion, Victor

TowMater

Originally posted by BRobbins629

I believe another member here was trying to blow one of these up and got up to around 200psi (Jarheaded I think). Course maybe he just got a great tank YMMV.

TM

mwenman

It was Jarheaded that was trying to blow one up, but other equipment failure and not the pot caused him to suspend his operations.

As for the relief valve, that was one of the first things I removed from mine as it was the weakest link in the setup. I was not able to maintain pressure with it attached and I did not want to leave my compressor cycling for an undetermined amount of time. Once I removed the relief valve, I was able to get a complete seal and hold pressure within 1-2 PSI for a 24 hour period once I pressurized it.

On the vac side of the house though, you will need to run your pump continuously, but the pressure relief valve does not come into play at all here.

anyway. That is an extremely nice Vac pump you have there. I just recently acquired a vacuum pump that I will be using for a vac chuck and the gent I purchased from provided me with this nifty info page:

http://www.lacotech.com/products/997300392_vacuumtechref.pdf

Is a 1 page paper that shows how much vac loss you will have based on your elevation, pump speed / leak rate, Vac / pressure conversion chart

Hello

how much might it cost to get set up with all that would be needed to do some casting?
I've got a number of pieces of wood that I've been saving for "worthless wood" blanks and quite a few corn cobs I want to stabalize.
Is there a "ready built" system of compressor, tank, valves/guages, tubing that I could buy? what goop should I use for stabilizing? can I put that "pearly" stuff in any goop I use?

pianomanpj

Nice rig, Victor![8D]
Watching your pressure gauge is a good way of monitoring the pressure in your tank, but it also assumes that your gauge is working properly. [:0] The relief valve will help keep your system "honest", even when your faulty gauge is lying to you. I sleep better at night knowing I'll be around to fix it. Just my two cents...:)

sbell111

Originally posted by Hello

how much might it cost to get set up with all that would be needed to do some casting?
I've got a number of pieces of wood that I've been saving for "worthless wood" blanks and quite a few corn cobs I want to stabalize.
Is there a "ready built" system of compressor, tank, valves/guages, tubing that I could buy? what goop should I use for stabilizing? can I put that "pearly" stuff in any goop I use?
That's alot of questions each leading to several alternative methods.

You might want to wander around this area of the forums for a bit reading several threads. Browsing the library is also a very good way to get this information. A forum search will also help answer individual questions. If you have any specific questions that you can't easily find the answer to, don't hesitate to start a thread.

I'll try to answer your questions the best I can:

1. For a pressure system, about $50 if you already have a compressor. For a vacuum system, it can be done for 15 bucks or so, but a good, easy to use system will cost maybe $100 and up if you use a HF paint pot and find a used pump locally or on ebay.

2. While yu might be able to find a specialty-built system, it will cost you tons more than you could build your own for. They are easy to build. An article on how to build one can be found here: http://content.penturners.org/articles/2007/pressurepot.pdf

3. There are several products that can be used to stabilize wood. I usually use Minwax fast drying polyurethane as described in this article: http://content.penturners.org/articles/2004/polyurethane1.pdf

That article also shows the cheap way to build a vacuum system. Many people don't stabilize corn cobs using pressure/vacuum. They merely use CA on-the-fly as explained here: http://content.penturners.org/articles/2004/corncobpen.pdf

4. If you are using PR or alumilite you can add dyes, pigments, pearl powder, or whatever to color the resin. A number of people dye wood blanks as part of stabilizing it, but I haven't figured out a method that I can make work.

helgi

Finally got back onto the computer and reading the topics, having been in the business of working with pressure pots (painting) for nearly forty years and having seen one pot failing after a fall and crashing thru a wall and landing 50---60' away luckily nobody hurt.And a pressure pot fail when we noticed the pot bulging due to release valve failure due to paint in the valve. I for one can not believe some members not thinking that a blow out can occur and it will blow without warning.If the valve is the weakest link go to a reputable paint store and buy a good one the treads are the same, i'm sure your family will apreciate your foresight. Just my two cents worth on this.

sbell111

Your first failure example would be unlikely to happen in our usage and would not be dependent on a release valve.

Your second example would appear to be a victim of extreme pressure. Monitoring the pressure gauge will avoid this. I suppose that this would also be avoided by simply adjusting the regulator properly.

Dan,

Thanks for the reminder that it is always better to er on the side of safety than to believe one can never make a mistake. You are quite right that the safety release valve is an important part of all of our pressure pots construction. The replacement cost is negligable when compared to any other medical cost from many of the injuries that we have all heard of, or had occur with any wood working tool or mishap.

TowMater

Helgi,

Thanks for that insight. I was going to take mine off and cap it but I think I'll stop by the Sherwin Williams by the house and see if I can get a replacement now. The extra few bucks is probably worth it safety wise.

Todd

Top Bottom