My latest wood turning "fix"...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi everyone,

I will be having a number of threads that will be all connected with my new recent treasures find location, here I will try to link them all as I go so that you can follow a little easier.

So, the very first day I got the truck unloaded wood in my storage paddock, I grabbed some pieces that I decided to become my own (for now) and take them to my lathe and get chips flying.

Only one blank was dry wood, the rest was green wood, some I knew some I didn't.

Anyway, just mounting some of these blanks was a nightmare, the fist one I call the "dark brown wood" was extremely heavy that alone was a problem but, I managed it in the end.

There were 5 pieces that I took to the lathe room and that, I wanted to create something out of them however, I wanted to finish them in one go, there is, the green stuff would be turned to the finish thickness and soaked in the Fungishield product that I have use for years to treat green wood to prevent excessive cracking/movement.

After that they would be photographed and put aside to dry on they own accord, I don't really care what happen to them, like so many pieces I created, pics is all I've got so, I'm Ok with that.

Coming from such a long period of thickness, I was really craving for some wood chips flying on my lathe, this was the right opportunity to satisfy my cravings.

Only 3 of the 5 blanks were done, after spending 2 afternoons making shavings, the floor was raising up with wood chips and my head was starting to be too close to the roof (most of you have seen my lathe room, the roof is about 1' above my head, and I'm 171cm tall

I will first show the 5 pieces/blanks I had before they were turned, and ask for anyone to identify the wood species if you can, I will then show the pieces after finished and coated with the Fungishield.

Have a look;

PS: Pics 1 and 4 are from the new "dark brown" wood, pics 2 and 5 are Silky-Oak and pic in the middle is Olive wood.

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 005b.JPG
    005b.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 243
  • 009b.JPG
    009b.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 257
  • 007b.JPG
    007b.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 288
  • 006b.JPG
    006b.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 256
  • 001b.JPG
    001b.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

G'day peoples,

Out of the 5 blanks shown on the previous post, only 3 were turned, I was satisfied with the time I spent turning them and as Mark mentioned, the blanks 1 and 3 were the ones that offered me a challenge.

I may had turned the 5 blanks if the third blank I turned, didn't stuff up on me there is, I had planned to turn blank 3 as a natural edge piece, both blanks 3 and 5 and from the last tree Merissa and I cut and slabbed in Easter 2013, this was a large Silky-Oak.

I was not expecting to get so much "rot" on the outside edge of the tree, there has been only 4 years and the top slabs which are the outside edges/slabs of the tree got very weathered so quickly and the under bark surface down to about 2" were far too gone but, it didn't look that bad when I cut it round on the bandsaw, though...!:frown:

025v.JPG

I used nearly half of a 8oz bottle of thin CA to try to harden it, it would not fit in the vacuum pot for stabilization so, I kept pouring CA but, it dot to a stage where, was simply no point, it was not looking good so, and after all that, I endup getting the chainsaw and cut a front portion of the blank that was too soft.

It was a shame because the spalting was going to make the natural edge quite pretty so, and after the bad part was cut out, I finished it by turning a simple platter that presented no challenge or was anything that special.

017v.JPG021.JPG020v.JPG

The wood was dry so, it was quickly finished with some spray varnish I had.
One of the interesting aspects of Silky-Oak is that, it becomes very light weight after dry, this piece weighed not that much, compare to the other 2 pieces I had turned first.

026v.JPG

I will show the other 2 pieces in the next posts, there is two very interesting aspects of that new wood that I called "dark brown" wood that I was not expecting...!:confused::biggrin:

Cheers
George

robutacion

I know that most of you are waiting to see what I have done to those 2 strange looking chunks of wood so, here you go;

Enjoy...!

PS: I will explain a little about the "dark brown wood" handling, later.

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 001c.JPG
    001c.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 215
  • 007c.JPG
    007c.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 192
  • 006c.JPG
    006c.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 202
  • 005c.JPG
    005c.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 212
  • 002c.JPG
    002c.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 215
  • 010v.JPG
    010v.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 224
  • 011v.JPG
    011v.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 212
  • 012v.JPG
    012v.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 187
  • 013v.JPG
    013v.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 205
  • 015v.JPG
    015v.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 221
  • 016v.JPG
    016v.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 197

robutacion

Thanks guys,

I had a good idea to how the Olive wood would come out but the brown piece, it could have got other shapes but and as always, the final shape is normally determined by what the wood gives to you as you turn wood away but in the end, I was happy with the results, also...!

Cheers
George

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
All three finished pieces look beautiful! Great work George. The vibrant colors on the last two are wonderful. :good: Nice to see you having fun again.

robutacion

All three finished pieces look beautiful! Great work George. The vibrant colors on the last two are wonderful. :good: Nice to see you having fun again.

Hi Mark,

Both of the green pieces endup with at least 6 coats of the Fungishild in the first 3 days from turning, it is still early but, there has been no movement so far, in any of those 2 last pieces.

If wasn't the shipping costs, I would be sending 1 or 2 of these crazy blanks, the wood is already heavy, being green and wet, makes them weight almost as much as lead.:redface:

Cheers
George

Top Bottom