My latest one

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Si90

Si90

Hi all. Just wanted to show my latest turned pen - Jnr Gent with Hairy Banksia Pod blank. I am going for a lay down now after this one. Very tricky to turn and finish for me this one - lots of rips on the softer parts so large amounts of CA required during the turning. I finished it to high gloss shine but didn't like it so just knocked the shine back slightly.

Back to a Steampunk one after this one I think.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kovalcik

Beautiful figure. What part of the pod did you use? Hole down the center or some other orientation? I have one sitting around and not sure what to do with it.

Si90

Beautiful figure. What part of the pod did you use? Hole down the center or some other orientation? I have one sitting around and not sure what to do with it.

Sorry, I realised after I posted that I hadn't made it clear that I bought this blank, it's not one I cast myself. They are actually from George (Robutacion) here on this forum. I have only just found this out myself after checking where I got them from and following a link which brought me back to this forum. Apologies to George if he sees this for not originally giving credit for the fantastic blank. From the description though it is made from 2 pieces of Cross Cut Banksia "Hairy" pods. Hope that helps.

OZturner

You might be justly tired. For you have truly created a Pen of Beauty.

Banksia Cones are beasts, always difficult to tame, let alone to get a true finish on them.

This has to be the best finish I have seen on a "B" Cone, and on a pen this is really incredible considering the shallow wall thickness.

As goes the great tribute from Rudyard Kilpling's classic story, 'You are a better man than I Gunga Din".

plano_harry

Man! I'd say the results were worth the effort. That is a crazy beautiful wood. I had to go back and look at it again. I want to get some of that stuff! Looks good in that box! :wink:

Harry

robutacion

Hi peoples,

I just found this thread by mistake, I was actually looking for the other thread where you had this open and some other, I never knew this thread about this particular blanks existed so, I apologise everyone for not making any comments before and provide some information about these blanks.

I have a new turner that bought 3 of these blanks from me and is most excited in start working on them, and is asking me if he has to paint the tubes so, I was going to find the pen you made, find your name, request permission to use the pics to show him and other and maybe put of the eBay listing for people to see, would you allow me to do that...??

I have turned many samples of these Banksia hairy pods from my front yard, but I'm yet to actually make a pen for one of the blanks, there has been various cuts used on their make, straight cut (1/4 pod, diagonal, straight cut using only the centre of the pod )one pod per blank), 1 cross piece with a long tail (pod piece at one end continuing filling the bottom part with the Banksia hairs, cross piece in the centre with hith extensions on each end of the blank, and the double cross pieces, each piece fills half of the blank, making these the most liked blanks so far.

They are simply cast in crystal clear PR (polyester resin) and then soaked with thin CA after cut and sanded. There are a layer of red type velvet in this pods that doesn't allow much soaking, the casting resin doesn't soak while all the other pod parts are kept together tight by the resin.

My CA soaking goes only so far so, thin CA soaking is a must as the blank gets turned down and exposes more of that velvet layer.
Interestingly, I attempted to stabilize the pod before casting and or stabilise the blanks after has been cast and cut/sanded to expose the soft layer, the idea was that the juice would find its way through the soft areas and penetrate those areas that the "cooking" would harden but, this process doesn't work well as to set the juice hard, the blanks have to be under 90° Celsius for 90 minutes and the PR doesn't like that at all, making it too brittle and shatter.

While stabilizing the pod before casting did work slightly better, even the juice doesn't harden that velvet material completely, there is, there is a great improvement of the hardness of the pod material in general but those velvet layers still require localised thin CA soaking as it is turned, a lot less, thought

These stabilised and then cast blanks, didn't seem to please people much, I think that is from the fact that, stabilizing each blanks cost $1.50 and that was obviously added to the normal blank price. I have done some detailed tests with those stabilised and cast blanks, and in my opinion the extra stabilization cost, worth every cent as the blank turns 100% better, a lot less use of the CA (savings there) and a lot less tear as you go, all due to the juice...!

However, people would ignore the stabilised ones and prefer the raw cast pod so, I stop stabilizing and made them all with the pod in its natural raw condition.

Yes, they are not something that I would advise a new inexperienced pen turner to tackle before he/she would get some more experience under his/hers "belt", one of the most important steps that I would suggest is that the blanks is wrapped around 4 or 5 times with some strong tape, any plastic tape in NOT suitable as it stretches, you want a firm type tape.

The second suggestion is to soak the drilled hole with thin CA before the tube is glued in, just think about it and you will realise what the this CA will do inside of that drilled hole, it will run in any small crevices and gaps between the pod layers, including the velvet layer and harden in there, you may need to run the drill bit again though the whole to clean it a little but, this will allow the tube to be glued to the pod in a much better and safer way, regardless of what type of glue you use to glue the tubes (I suggest epoxy).

There will be a point where, the last CA soak you perform on the turned blank, will reach the CA harden areas from the tube outwards, this represents the best possible adhesion properties on all the pod material that is going to stay attached to the tube, this way, the chances of "ripping" chunks from the tube, too close to finishing, are seriously reduced...!

In fact, the principle applies to any blank...!:wink:

Most of the most beautiful pens ever made, didn't happen with a 15 minute turning job, they are blanks that vary from extremely fragile to extremely hard to work with and anything in between so, one can not expect to get results such as those shown in the poster pics and not spend a little time with it, the efforts will be well rewarded, guaranteed...!

The Banksia Hairy pods blanks, have been sold here on IAP, some time ago, lots of pics and info in it, here

I hope this gives a bit more "inside" of what this blanks are about...!

You done that blank justice and made me proud, thank you...!

Cheers
George

Si90

Hi George.

Thank you for your kind remarks about the pen. I have to say it was a bit of a challenge to turn but the end result is stunning. At least I will know what I am getting into with the other 6 blanks I have.

Sorry I didn't give credit to you initially. My wife bought these blanks for me off you via ebay so it wasn't until I checked your listing for the answer to the question of how they were made that I found the link to this forum that I realised you were on here.

They do indeed take a lot of patience and time to finish. I turned this one over 2 nights. I stopped quite a bit short of the bushing, not wanting to risk another rip or blowout and sanded it back to the finished size.

George, You are more than welcome to do what you want with the pictures, I am glad you think I did the blank justice.

Simon

robutacion

Hi George.

Thank you for your kind remarks about the pen. I have to say it was a bit of a challenge to turn but the end result is stunning. At least I will know what I am getting into with the other 6 blanks I have.

Sorry I didn't give credit to you initially. My wife bought these blanks for me off you via ebay so it wasn't until I checked your listing for the answer to the question of how they were made that I found the link to this forum that I realised you were on here.

They do indeed take a lot of patience and time to finish. I turned this one over 2 nights. I stopped quite a bit short of the bushing, not wanting to risk another rip or blowout and sanded it back to the finished size.

George, You are more than welcome to do what you want with the pictures, I am glad you think I did the blank justice.

Simon

Thanks Simon,

In fact, I have attempted to make these blanks a little easier to handle by, using the Cactus Juice (stabilising) before and after casting to address the red velvet soft material of this pod but, people seem to not want to used them, I'm not sure if was because they were priced with the $1.50 extra of the stabilisation costs orm people were happy to use the CA to keep hardening the material as they go.

I have made about a dozen or so of the stabilised ones, together with the last batch of the normal ones (raw pod) and I have been requesting people to allow me to swap at least one of the normal ones ordered with one of the stabilised ones at no extra cost, I request that the clearly marked stabilised blanks be worked as normal and have turners making notes of any differences they find and then report to me, I'm yet to get one of those reports but, I will wait.

Sometimes, the Cactus Juice is just not the cure for everything, there are materials that reject any liquids, such as the cork and other stuff so, if stabilisation doesn't improve anything on these blanks, I won't waste my time and money and continue to do them as always, maybe not the blanks for a beginner or for someone that doesn't have a good cutting technique with their gouges, for whatever reason, or wants to make quick pens however, we all have seen what they are capable off so, inability to improve its construction, is not the end of the world, huh...???:wink::biggrin:

PS: I agree with edstreet, this pen is certainly front page material, regardless of who made the blank...!:)

Cheers
George

Top Bottom