My Latest Castings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Si90

Si90

I like pens with simple lines, look like they are designed and not just had "bling" thrown at them to make them look expensive, it's why I don't make gold pens. I know that may sound a little contrary to what my Steampunk pens may say about me but I see those as something a little different. Thats not so say I won't make "blingy" kits or use blingy blanks because I do as I have shown here, after all it's a large and varied market. I do have a couple of Emperors in my stash which I have yet to decide what to do with but they wouldn't be my choice of pen but I can absolutely see what people like about them.

I have been looking for the "thats the one" kit for a long time and haven't really come across it yet. I like the Atrax, simple finial, centre band and simple non postable end but I find the clip too fussy. I like the PSI Graduate but would have rather it had a twist cap, and it's not available in UK as far as I can find. I have made one put people have been put off by the magnet.

So my latest attempt is what I show below, couple of Stratus click pens with home cast CF blank, simple orange accent and my embedded logo. It's still not "that kit" but I do like them. Hoping that they will appeal to a different market than the higher end "Blingy" pens but only time will tell.

NOTE: Does anyone know why the black one has the clip as a separate piece that goes between the click mechanism and the blank whereas the chrome and gun metal kits have it fixed as an integral part higher up the click mechanism piece?

As always thanks for taking the time to look, hope the smaller pics load a little quicker. Large pics have been force of habit. I frequent another forum for a different hobby I have and the bigger the pictures the better. Until next time.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Those look superb and very professionally made and your Wolf logo always adds a cool touch. I also can't answer about the clips, but I prefer the position of the chrome one, but the colour of the black one.
I think the chrome plating will last longer though.:biggrin:

Marko50

Outstanding work Simon. You accomplished what you set out to do with the "clean and simple lines". Very nice. Keep posting! I love your work!

OZturner

Nice Pens, Simon
Obviously you have a degree of concern with these pens, and your desired outcome.
I have spent considerable time and sole searching, in writing the following, but I give them as my honest, sincere, personal and hopefully constructive comments.

I know you mentioned, (using my words) you were seeking a subtle Bling without Bling for Bling's sake.

Your pen initially appears to me as a Well Designed, Professional and High Volume Manufactured, Commercial style of pen.

I suppose I am saying that it looks too Perfect, and too Commercial, if you understand what I mean.

I would have felt that your Target Market would be the Discriminating Purchaser, who wants Superb Quality, with a high degree of Uniqueness.
That distinguishes them from the other Pen users.

Your Wolf logo does create a degree of uniqueness, but in these days with the high exposure of re-badging, I don't know if it lifts the Pen enough, to break the Commercial Connection.

Perhaps the above is why I prefer the Chrome over the Black as of the two it looks less Commercial.

Sincerely,
Brian.

Si90

Your right Brian. I was well aware that the combination of materials, design and kit would give a more commercial feel. I chose Carbon Fibre because my sales of it have been considerably higher than any other by a good margin. The reaction to my wood, acrylic and hybrid blank pens has been they are really nice but I wouldn't buy it and so far my sales have backed this up. I am sure though that it is just a case of finding the right outlet for each style which I will have to work on.

plano_harry

Simon, your pens are always outstanding. I can see Brian's point, but as your experience bears out, people seem to prefer some name as opposed to an "unknown" artist/hobbyist. Several friends have suggested that I should somehow identify or logo my work. If I could come up with something as nice as you have, I might do it. Keep showing us new stuff!

Top Bottom