My inside out approach

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

Merry Christmas everyone. I am waiting for the family to gather and have time to kill so I thought that I would share my approach to inside out ornaments. I am still learning on these and there are probably better ways of doing this but I managed to get some made.

I first start with four pieces about 6 inches long and 1" square (it is very important to have them perfectly square for proper alignment throughout. I also think that the results would be better with larger stock, 1" is tight and limits your design possibilities. I then glue the 4 pieces together by putting glue only on the ends. Do not glue throughout because you want to separate the pieces later.

I then turn and finish the inside part between centers. Be sure that you perfectly center the glued up stock. I also turn a small recess for gluing in my center pieces later. Be sure that you have your inside contour the way you want it because you can not go back and touch it up. This is the point where I sometimes have problems. I tend to skimp on glue and have had the pieces fly apart when I start turning them.

At this point, I use a chop saw to cut off the glued ends so that I can separate the pieces. I then rotate the piece so that the turned corners are now in the center and glue the pieces back together, I have full coverage at this point.

Recenter the stock and turn the outside edge, sand and finish.

Turn your center pieces with an end to glue into the recess that you left when doing the inside turning. I made snowmen, candles and Christmas trees for center pieces.

These are challenging but fun.

image.jpg

JimB

Very nice. A few years ago someone in the local club here did a demonstration. They followed the same basic procedure you describe. They used pen blanks and to separate them they just knocked them apart instead of cutting the ends off.

Top Bottom