My IAP Log-In

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Point 1.
I have had the habit of remaining logged in to IAP "permanently" for the past several years ( with some exceptions ).

The reason for this is simply convenience ..... and, increasingly, forgetfulness .

If anyone knows of a potential or real problem with this, please let me know. . Instead of a message in this thread, A PM would be best, please.

I am not particularly savvy with regard to computers, the internet, or forum protocols. . So there may be problems that I am unaware of.

Point 2.
Due to a close family member's worsening medical issue, I will not be participating as much on IAP as in the recent past.

For ALL my friends I will say that there is no need for you to express your concern ..... I know you care and thank you for that !

I will continue to remain logged in unless there is a compelling reason to change that habit. . Please let me know by PM if there is.
Thank you.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

studioseven

I also don't log out. Truthfully I am just too lazy and don't want to log back in. I always wondered if when I close the page with out logging out, if it still showed that I was logged in while I am away.

Seven

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I also don't log out. Truthfully I am just too lazy and don't want to log back in. I always wondered if when I close the page with out logging out, if it still showed that I was logged in while I am away.

Seven
Your session expires about 20 minutes after you leave an IAP page or close your browser. If you log out, your session expires as soon as you do that, and you'll no longer show in the "members online" box.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I am so glad for "stay logged on". It would drive me crazy for my regular sites - to have to log in every time, as much as I check in.

penicillin

IMPORTANT: This advice applies to Penturners.org. Do NOT assume that it is safe to use "Stay Logged In" on other websites.

The simple answer is that you are reasonably safe to use the Penturners.org "Stay Logged In" feature if and only if:
  • You do not use a public or shared device or computer to access penturners.org. The device (e.g., smartphone or tablet) or computer you use to connect to Penturners.org should always be yours and yours alone.
  • Your device or computer is running a currently supported operating system that is kept patched and maintained. All bets are off if your computer is infected with a virus or other malware.
  • You do not reuse the same password between websites. This is less of a threat from penturners.org, but has broader implications.
Notes:
Windows 8 through Windows 10 are currently supported. Windows 7 is NOT supported and should be replaced or upgraded.
Antivirus and anti-malware software is beyond the scope of this thread, and not appropriate for Penturners.org. Search the web for yourself.

Details You Can Safely Ignore:
Stop if you are not interested in technical explanations. Some details have been simplified or omitted for clarity. Penturners.org is not the place for a master class on information security:
  • Penturners.org uses your browser to store and retrieve data on your device/computer. That data is called "cookies". The cookies includes your "Stay Logged In" information.
  • Each member's Penturners.org cookie data is unique and different.
  • When you connect in your browser, the Penturners.org server retrieves its cookies from your device/computer and determines whether you have "Stay Logged In" enabled.
  • Penturners.org uses an encrypted connection (called TLS) between your device/computer and the Penturners.org server. Because all of the data is encrypted, including the Penturners.org cookies, bad guys who intercept the communications cannot read it.
Bad Humor:
Shouldn't everything that runs on @magpens' computer be called "Mal" ... ware? :)

Top Bottom