My Husband got to “ring the bell” today

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
So, it's off topic from the usual Pen chat topics ; but I wanted to share some good news from today! My husband got to ring the "End of Treatment" bell at the Oncology office today after defeating Stage 4 Metastatic colon cancer that had spread to his lungs as well. He's gone thru 9 months of aggressive chemo, 2 surgeries, 5 sessions of high dose radiation and is looking forward to clean PET scans from now on.
698D6B3D-5EED-4294-BE54-6F886F0EB290.jpeg
I know that this forum leans heavier towards the "Male" statistics, so I'll leave this here as a PSA as well. "45 is the new 50" for colon cancer screenings. My husband was diagnosed with Stage 4 metastatic colon cancer at the age of 51. It had grown into 2 tumors had then spread to to his lungs as well (he is a healthy, non smoking guy) and he was diagnosed with NO SYMPTOMS other than some anemia and feeling a bit tired.

The cancer had been growing for 4ish years and he had no idea it was there and was getting worse quickly.
He was apprehensive about getting a colonoscopy (like most men are) and he was worried about the awkwardness with it and had avoided it up until his new Dr insisted he get one as a precaution. He said it was pretty much the best nap he had ever had and then he woke up in a different room than where he had fallen asleep. There was no pain, no embarrassment or discomfort at all from the procedure. (Worst part he said was a tad of roughness in his throat from the oxygen tube drying him out) and he was more embarrassed he had avoided it so long for something that "wasn't a big deal after all" (except, you know, finding the deadly cancer).

So, if you've been avoiding getting tested, do your loved ones a favor and get checked out. If he had been checked out a Few years before they would have snipped a few small polyps and that would have been it, but avoiding it nearly cost him his life. We have an 8 year old daughter and he is our world and 9 months ago we heard "15% change of survival" and that is something I want to spare anyone from ever hearing, so think of your loved ones and make the appointment to get checked!

ok- PSA speech over- but I just wanted to share our good news :)

KenB259

Awesome news and I applaud your psa on colonoscopies. I have had 3 so far. Colon cancer runs in my family so I'm high risk. To all that are hesitant, it really is no big deal. I also urge you to get it done if you haven't. It truly is a medical test that can save your life.

Last edited:

greenacres2

Awesome news!! I'd agree with the best nap description, it was restful. I also felt silly for waiting, and my wife wishes she would have recorded my conversations— both with others and with myself.
Earl

KenB259

One funny story about one of my colonoscopies, it was on St Patrick's day. I came out of the anesthesia asking for green beer. I'm not a drinker and I especially detest beer. Where in the world did that request come from.

monophoto

Let me reinforce the point about colon screening. I have a family history of colon cancer (both parents), and it turns out that I'm a 'polyp farmer' which means that when they do a colonoscopy, they always find polyps which they routinely remove as part of the procedure. I've had the procedure 11 times so far, so it's sort of something that I look forward to.

The worst part is the prep that you must do the night before. You have to drink a large quantity of a really nasty liquid that induces diarrhea. They suggest that chilling the liquid makes it taste better - but my experience is that drinking a gallon of a cold liquid drops your body temperature, which increases the misery on top of everything else.

There are several prep solutions to choose from - several years ago my doctor suggested a two-part solution (SuPrep) that I found to be much easier to take - you drink one cup of the nasty stuff followed by three cups of plain water. The negative aspect is that you have to repeat the prep the following morning, which means that you have to get up very early. But you make up for that by sleeping through the procedure itself.

Everyone needs to get screened occasionally, so the best thing to do is just suck it up and deal with it. Getting older isn't for sissies, and screening is just one of the fun things that come with age. And you can always joke about it afterwards.

And while we are on the subject of screening, don't forget to get a PSA test. Prostate cancer is one of the most common cancers in men (about one man out of six), and if it is found early, it's very treatable. I was diagnosed five years ago and opted for radiation + hormone therapy. Just saw my doctor last month and he gave the the all-clear - I will need to include a PSA test in my annual checkup, but no need for any further office visits. They don't promise a cure - they say that before they will declare you cured of prostate cancer, you have to first die from something else!

Last edited:

SteveJ

Just before I had one done they asked if I had taken any meds - I said "no, oh wait, after that stuff you made me take last night I had the runs so I took some Imodium..."

sorcerertd

This is the best thing I've heard all day! I love when people get to ring the bell! It sure sounds like you guys went through a lot to get there.

Can't say I was embarrassed about a colonoscopy, but definitely wanted not to do it. The prep was the bad part. For my second one, I mixed the prep with margarita mix and, of course, blended it with ice. Might as well make the best of it (even if they were non-alcoholic).

I suppose the gas wasn't much fun, either. I think it all came out in one long fart the second time. I should have recorded it for Guiness Book. Oh well, who would have expected that? Sorry, nobody wanted to know that. I'll just move along now. :p

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
This news puts all else to shame today. We get all worked up on the small stuff and ignore the important stuff. Prayers and well wishes for a continued recovery and healthy future. Been ther ethree times, some polyps each time, so I understand the importance.

Thank you for the story and the needed reminder! 👏 👏

jttheclockman

That is great news. Had the last colonoscopy 4 years ago so due next year. My PSA # is going up and I am on a watch. My Dad had the cancer as well as others so it is in my genes. The one that almost took me out was blood clots on my lungs so large it crossed both lungs. Came from clot in my leg they are guessing. Had no clue I had them until I could not walk 10 steps without stopping. I walked every day 4 to 5 miles a day. Put me in the hospital for 10 days. That was 10 years ago. As was mentioned getting old is not for sissies. Not getting any easier.

Glad to read your husband is doing well and wish him many more great days and keep ringing that bell.

mnerland

So, it's off topic from the usual Pen chat topics ; but I wanted to share some good news from today! My husband got to ring the "End of Treatment" bell at the Oncology office today after defeating Stage 4 Metastatic colon cancer that had spread to his lungs as well. He's gone thru 9 months of aggressive chemo, 2 surgeries, 5 sessions of high dose radiation and is looking forward to clean PET scans from now on.
View attachment 308608I know that this forum leans heavier towards the "Male" statistics, so I'll leave this here as a PSA as well. "45 is the new 50" for colon cancer screenings. My husband was diagnosed with Stage 4 metastatic colon cancer at the age of 51. It had grown into 2 tumors had then spread to to his lungs as well (he is a healthy, non smoking guy) and he was diagnosed with NO SYMPTOMS other than some anemia and feeling a bit tired.

The cancer had been growing for 4ish years and he had no idea it was there and was getting worse quickly.
He was apprehensive about getting a colonoscopy (like most men are) and he was worried about the awkwardness with it and had avoided it up until his new Dr insisted he get one as a precaution. He said it was pretty much the best nap he had ever had and then he woke up in a different room than where he had fallen asleep. There was no pain, no embarrassment or discomfort at all from the procedure. (Worst part he said was a tad of roughness in his throat from the oxygen tube drying him out) and he was more embarrassed he had avoided it so long for something that "wasn't a big deal after all" (except, you know, finding the deadly cancer).

So, if you've been avoiding getting tested, do your loved ones a favor and get checked out. If he had been checked out a Few years before they would have snipped a few small polyps and that would have been it, but avoiding it nearly cost him his life. We have an 8 year old daughter and he is our world and 9 months ago we heard "15% change of survival" and that is something I want to spare anyone from ever hearing, so think of your loved ones and make the appointment to get checked!

Great post! And you win for the best advice I have seen here since I joined. Congrats for the results. I have had 3 done and am considered a polyp grower. Get it done, it's easy and not embarrassing. Thanks for posting your experience!

TDahl

Excellent news and thank you for sharing both the positive outcome and your heartfelt PSA. As you probably can see it was well received by this community.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Thank you Lauren for sharing this and giving us a stern warning to get the screening.

20+ years ago, a cousin who was 60 at the time, knew he had something wrong but refused to go to the doctor for months. When he did go, his colon cancer was advanced and they had to remove a portion. They got it in time like your husband did, but his quality of life was greatly diminished from that time on. I had known him since we were little kids. He just wasn't the same since, and passed away 3 years ago, and I was asked to officiate at his funeral, which I did. I think that could have been different if he had only gone to the doctor 6 to 8 months earlier.

That said, I had a colonoscopy while home on a year's Stateside work at age 53 (clean) and again at 58 - and had numerous polyps the second time. Having seen what was happening at that time to my cousin, that made the colonoscopy to me little more than just an inconvenience. That procedure began an every other year of colonoscopies for me, and that has continued even to this year. When discovered in 2005/6, while back home here for a few months, I was living in Japan most of the time. I had colonoscopies there when I was not coming back for a few months at the appropriate time. I have averaged 8 to 10 every time. My Stateside doctor said that some people were just "polyp factories" and I was one. My doctor also told me that I was the only patient he has ever had that looks forward to colonoscopies! I told him that watched my cousin live a poor quality of life simply because he didn't want to go to the doctor when he knew he should have. Other than that I have been very healthy and and live an active life. An inconvenience can help and lead to a much better quality of life if acknowledged early enough.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

DJBPenmaker

View attachment 308608I know that this forum leans heavier towards the "Male" statistics, so I'll leave this here as a PSA as well. "45 is the new 50" for colon cancer screenings. My husband was diagnosed with Stage 4 metastatic colon cancer at the age of 51. It had grown into 2 tumors had then spread to to his lungs as well (he is a healthy, non smoking guy) and he was diagnosed with NO SYMPTOMS other than some anemia and feeling a bit tired.

Great news and thanks for the encouragement

MPVic

Phenomenal good news like this is NEVER 'off topic'. So very happy for you both.

Thank you Lauren for sharing this and giving us a stern warning to get the screening.

20+ years ago, a cousin who was 60 at the time, knew he had something wrong but refused to go to the doctor for months. When he did go, his colon cancer was advanced and they had to remove a portion. They got it in time like your husband did, but his quality of life was greatly diminished from that time on. I had known him since we were little kids. He just wasn't the same since, and passed away 3 years ago, and I was asked to officiate at his funeral, which I did. I think that could have been different if he had only gone to the doctor 6 to 8 months earlier.

That said, I had a colonoscopy while home on a year's Stateside work at age 53 (clean) and again at 58 - and had numerous polyps the second time. Having seen what was happening at that time to my cousin, that made the colonoscopy to me little more than just an inconvenience. That procedure began an every other year of colonoscopies for me, and that has continued even to this year. When discovered in 2005/6, while back home here for a few months, I was living in Japan most of the time. I had colonoscopies there when I was not coming back for a few months at the appropriate time. I have averaged 8 to 10 every time. My Stateside doctor said that some people were just "polyp factories" and I was one. My doctor also told me that I was the only patient he has ever had that looks forward to colonoscopies! I told him that watched my cousin live a poor quality of life simply because he didn't want to go to the doctor when he knew he should have. Other than that I have been very healthy and and live an active life. An inconvenience can help and lead to a much better quality of life if acknowledged early enough.

Thanks for sharing.
I'm so sorry you have to have so many! But it's for the best (as you admit). Thankfully, even though it was very advanced his quality of life should be pretty good once he heals and recovers from the chemo, but it could have been far from that. I'm curious if he will be a "polyp farmer" like others mention; he had 2 tumors but they only found 2 other polyps during that exam so hopefully he is of the "less than more" group.
I'm glad you have been getting everything taken care of! Keep doing well! ☺️

That is great news. Had the last colonoscopy 4 years ago so due next year. My PSA # is going up and I am on a watch. My Dad had the cancer as well as others so it is in my genes. The one that almost took me out was blood clots on my lungs so large it crossed both lungs. Came from clot in my leg they are guessing. Had no clue I had them until I could not walk 10 steps without stopping. I walked every day 4 to 5 miles a day. Put me in the hospital for 10 days. That was 10 years ago. As was mentioned getting old is not for sissies. Not getting any easier.

Glad to read your husband is doing well and wish him many more great days and keep ringing that bell.
Oh goodness!! Blood clots scare me since they are hard to detect! I had a Csection (not a small surgery by any means) and they had me up walking within hours to help prevent them because they run in the family. I'm glad to hear you are doing well!
Getting older isn't for sissies as you say, but better than the alternative for sure! ☺️

Let me reinforce the point about colon screening. I have a family history of colon cancer (both parents), and it turns out that I'm a 'polyp farmer' which means that when they do a colonoscopy, they always find polyps which they routinely remove as part of the procedure. I've had the procedure 11 times so far, so it's sort of something that I look forward to.

The worst part is the prep that you must do the night before. You have to drink a large quantity of a really nasty liquid that induces diarrhea. They suggest that chilling the liquid makes it taste better - but my experience is that drinking a gallon of a cold liquid drops your body temperature, which increases the misery on top of everything else.

There are several prep solutions to choose from - several years ago my doctor suggested a two-part solution (SuPrep) that I found to be much easier to take - you drink one cup of the nasty stuff followed by three cups of plain water. The negative aspect is that you have to repeat the prep the following morning, which means that you have to get up very early. But you make up for that by sleeping through the procedure itself.

Everyone needs to get screened occasionally, so the best thing to do is just suck it up and deal with it. Getting older isn't for sissies, and screening is just one of the fun things that come with age. And you can always joke about it afterwards.

And while we are on the subject of screening, don't forget to get a PSA test. Prostate cancer is one of the most common cancers in men (about one man out of six), and if it is found early, it's very treatable. I was diagnosed five years ago and opted for radiation + hormone therapy. Just saw my doctor last month and he gave the the all-clear - I will need to include a PSA test in my annual checkup, but no need for any further office visits. They don't promise a cure - they say that before they will declare you cured of prostate cancer, you have to first die from something else!
Yes, the "prep" is the worst part, but his misery was more the volume of liquid. There was a powder that you mix with a gallon of water (tasted like Gatorade/tang he said) but he had to drink 8oz of it every 10 minutes until it was gone. The first few weren't so bad, but he just felt so FULL of liquid after a bit that he wasn't excited to keep going. But luckily for him, it was one trip to the bathroom, he was then empty and that was that. He had a light diet the day before so it wasn't so bad; he said the worst part of the entire thing was just trying to keep drinking more fluids on a full stomach (until it wasn't full anymore😆). But even that part wasn't as bad as he thought it would be, so he's not scared of getting them every 8-12 months for the next few years! ☺️

leehljp

Member Liaison
I didn't mention everything in my previous post in order to keep it short. One item I glossed over was the for the first 3 or 4 years, I did have a colonoscopy every year once polyps were found, then went to every other year for one very important reason that the doctor emphasized - Once adults reach their 60's particularly mid 60's their body's elasticity diminishes. Even more so into their 70's where I am now. The body can take only so much pressure and expansion/contraction before a rupture occurs. They inflate the lower intestines with enough low pressure to be able to maneuver the scope, suction and knife?. Therefore, there has to be a balance between frequency and diminished body elasticity in aging.

As an example, I have always loved working with my hands (woodworking, making things in general, mechanical, electrical etc.) And I have constantly gotten scrapes and cuts and scratches since I was a kid. But going back about 7 or 8 years ago, scratches now become tears - tearing takes place with whole areas of skin ripping back. My skin has lost its elasticity. This happens with aging, and it affects the frequencies of colonoscopies as the intestines lose their elasticity needed for proper treatments in colonoscopies. My doctor said that for me, it will probably be extended to once every three years soon, and with various tests, (fecal and blood tests) he/medical technology can warn me early enough for a need.

The dangers of lost elasticity of aging is that a rupture or tear will take place during a routine colonoscopy, and at best outcome, once that happens, - will be a colostomy. The "worse" side is loss of this life.

jttheclockman

Oh goodness!! Blood clots scare me since they are hard to detect! I had a Csection (not a small surgery by any means) and they had me up walking within hours to help prevent them because they run in the family. I'm glad to hear you are doing well!
Getting older isn't for sissies as you say, but better than the alternative for sure! ☺️
Had 2 doctors tell me how close I was to having them break free to my heart. They scared the S**** out of me. Had no signs till about 3 days before I went to hospital. Knew something was wrong when I could not get my breath after a few steps. Was taking care of my Mom at the time and hated to leave her but my brother stood up and helped big time. I stopped going to my blood dr. because of this stupid pandemic but need to get back to him soon. It is funny that your last line is the one that I always hear when I mention about sissies. Always get that. It is so true.

We are in the Chattanooga area. We just moved here from CA back in 2020 & we love it!
Welcome to the forum... I live just up the road from you (about 50 miles)... personally haven't had a colonoscopy in a few years myself, but at my age the doctor aren't pushing for one either.... you PSA was spot on though and good advice to any and all men or women.

I also moved here from California, via Texas,.... moved here in 2005 and have loved the place ever since. I was born and raised in Texas, but after the navy stayed in California, L.A. first then the Bay area for about 12 years before moving home to Texas again in 1980. Loved CA, but was getting too expensive and crowded for me... I still have a daughter living near Santa Cruz.

PenPal

I suggested to my surgeon about the proceedure I was not cut out to be a homosexual,his reply how do you think I feel. After Cancer the Radio Therapy caused a burned section in the Colon,no such thing as a free lunch,most of five years now PSA the imaginary one it is sl low. I have diverticulitus makes for a risky Colonoscopy. I sincerely thank you Laureen for presenting the bad then good news of the Bellringing,all the very best for the future you two.

Peter.

Cavediver

Congratulations!

Thank you for sharing this news, it's something I really needed to hear this week. My cousin was diagnosed with stage 2/3 colon cancer just a couple of weeks ago. She's in her mid 50's, lives a very healthy lifestyle, etc. Due to a lack of health insurance she hadn't been to the doctor in many years, but finally went in this year for a full set of check-ups. While a cancer diagnosis is never a thing you want to hear, the doctors are VERY optimistic things and believe she'll be just fine after treatment. No doubt it's going to be a long and difficult road, but she's also looking at it in the best light possible and is looking forward to putting this behind her.

Again, thank you. Your post has given me a bit of light to start the weekend.

howsitwork

Wonderful news and good to hear that others are being sensible about getting checked out.

Now he can help,you get the workshop set up properly to celebrate !!!!

Top Bottom