My Hercus 9 Restoration.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wm460

Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia,0860.
Finally got a nice cool day for a change, only 41°C.

So I thought I would start cleaning up my Hercus 9 and try and keep the missus happy.

I saw this lathe advertise in Alice Springs in a recycling yard ( Alice is the closest town 500 Km away) in March last year, I only wanted the stand for my Hercus 260, but when I picked it up I found out it was an Hercus ARL.

When I bought her home, I had to dismantle her to get her off the trailer and stacked the parts on an obsolete hospital bed, 6 month later I transferred to a different department at work so bought home my bench that I originally took there because it was too big for my shed.

For some reason the missus is keeps whinging about 2 lathes, a hospital bed and a bench on the back veranda, strange woman.

Attachments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

Good scores. As you probably know you'll get the best advice from the Hercus section of the Metalwork forum in your country. For those that don't know the Hercus is the Aussie version of the Southbend and I think Atlas lathe too. They were all used a lot for the WW2 war effort.

There is a book on restoring the Southbend lathe that might be helpful to you.

https://www.amazon.ca/Guide-Renovating-South-Lathe-Model/dp/1482364883/ref=asc_df_1482364883/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=292954435894&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3316695758653246877&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001240&hvtargid=pla-523307802451&psc=1

MrPukaShell

I was wondering how to cleaned up the corners etc, and the inside, I have been using an angle grinder with wirebrush.

My angle grinder are too big to fit inside the cabinet.

I dont have access to sand blasting equipment.
What about paint stripper and rust remover to clean it up.

Curly

"I was wondering how to cleaned up the corners etc, and the inside,"

Uh the same way we all would do it before power tools. Grease your elbows and hand sand. :wink: Anything that isn't coming off easily can stay and get painted over.

Top Bottom