My first wood pen!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from talpha1

talpha1

It's far from perfect, and it's got lots of mistakes. I obviously didn't work it down enough at the ends and I think I left it way too big in the centers. The CA finish isn't great, especially at the ends, but I learned so much. This was wood that was in my dad's woodshop. He's advanced in years and has dementia, so he can't help my sister (in this group under the name Talonstorm) and I much. We're twin sisters, and we haven't done much wood working. His tools are old, so the deck is somewhat attacked against us, but we'll get there.
Does anyone know what kind of wood this is? The color is amazing and is like to try another, but would have to get another blank, as I don't see another in my dad's stash. Thanks in advance for all the help!

Attachments

• 20220410_211042.jpg
    20220410_211042.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 192
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

Congrats! Beautiful piece of wood, and it goes nicely with the kit. That right there is a key skill, choosing the right blank for each kit!

Keep it up. Practice will hone out those little mistakes. ;)

Welcome to the forums!

Oh, and sorry, I'm still newish at this myself. I know a decent number of woods, but I can't say off the top of my head what kind of wood that is. I want to say redheart or bloodwood, but...it looks too brown for that...

tomtedesco

Wonderful first pen, we learn from practice what we like. Most turners always point out what we consider defects, things non-turners would ever notice, we need to shut up and let others be amazed by our skills.

sorcerertd

I think the finish looks pretty darned good for a first wood pen. The ends can definitely be a challenge with separation, especially with some brands of CA. Also, even the slightest bulge on the lathe seems to be magnified once on the pen. The wood looks like mahogany to me. What kit did you use? The finial shape doesn't look familiar to me, but I like it.

talpha1

I think the finish looks pretty darned good for a first wood pen. The ends can definitely be a challenge with separation, especially with some brands of CA. Also, even the slightest bulge on the lathe seems to be magnified once on the pen. The wood looks like mahogany to me. What kit did you use? The finial shape doesn't look familiar to me, but I like it.
Thanks! I was super afraid of blowing it up after doing that to one I slimmed too much earlier, although, in hindsight, I think my wood may have been too dry. It seemed very brittle. It was not the same wood. The kit was a Groove twist kit in gun metal from Penn State Industries.

howsitwork

Well done. Addictive isn't it ??

I vote for mahogany , was it dusty to turn or splintery ? Suppose that depends upon tool used and presentation as well.

Have fun

talpha1

Well done. Addictive isn't it ??

I vote for mahogany , was it dusty to turn or splintery ? Suppose that depends upon tool used and presentation as well.

Have fun
It was more splintery. I used a standard carbide tip square tool. In hindsight, I probably should have finished the edges with the round tip tool, but live and learn.

Kcimdrib

Welcome to the forum you will learn lots. Looks to me like you've made a great start you pen shows imagination.
I think the wood is Mahogany.

Top Bottom