My first Urushi Negoro Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Teodor

Teodor

Hi all,
After several errors and trials I made my first Urushi pen.
It's made only for learning. Others will follow up, even though it's a long and painful process, I learned a lot.
Enjoy your day
Teo
506ce715498f0f8c2ea20e51835f040d.jpg
dc33cb0420c37f34ec42e03e078ab1d4.jpg
2c45e16830981ccc4aff9f79b93906bf.jpg
6369557017b54871cd018eefc0cd674f.jpg

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pierre---

That's a beauty Teodor. Long and painfull process you say, I know what you mean, I am taking my first steps with urushi too...
How do you polish it? Using traditional Japanese stuff with charcoal and powder or the usual European way with Micromesh and polishing discs?

Teodor

That's a beauty Teodor. Long and painfull process you say, I know what you mean, I am taking my first steps with urushi too...
How do you polish it? Using traditional Japanese stuff with charcoal and powder or the usual European way with Micromesh and polishing discs?
Polishing it's something also that needs a lot of experimentation, bit I ended using both, high quality sanding paper and micro-mesh but also the traditional polishing paste made from rapeseed oil and polishing powder.
The final layers it's done with high refined urushi called isehaya that provide this glossy surface.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Teodor, this is a beautifully designed and crafted pen. The colors are excellent as is the foray into a Urushi finish - well done.

I'm going to venture to mention a design element that I prefer. Please do not take this as a criticism, but merely my own taste.

The middle juncture between the upper and lower blanks, I feel the rounded edges are not as visually appealing as a more straight edge, where the sections have a uniform match; or, where the upper section will overlap with the lower. I have very little experience with kitless pens, but have made a few closed end pens and found that a matched middle joint appealed more to me. Just a comment, and certainly not a criticism. If the rounded features are an element you are using to distinguish yourself, then I understand perfectly.

All the best! And I do love your work.

TG Design

Teo,

That turned out great, it's impressive, what's more impressive is the story behind it. I'd like to try Urushi one day, I'm pretty sensitive to the finish. Maybe gloves and a exhaust hood would help me.

Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

leehljp

Member Liaison
If that is your first, success is already there! Well done and the patience needed for that kind of work is beyond me. Congratulations!

manupropria

Well done. The Negoro Nuri does imitate worn lacquer therefore the satin polish is pefect. For Roiro Nuri high glossy finish you have to repeat Uwazuri 5 to 6 times

Top Bottom