My first two pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Timber Ripper

Timber Ripper

Hi All,

After countless hours of watching Youtube on wood/pen turning along with a hint or two to my wife towards wanting a lathe for Christmas. AND gathering up the basic accessories - Below is the outcome of my very first two pens.
The pen orders have gone through the roof.. Lets see, the wife wants one, my four sons each want one, daughter in-law gets one, my brother and sister in-law and Mom and Dad.
Phew! I need to get some kits and blanks ordered quickly :biggrin:
I am hooked!

Thanks to all of you who make up the IAP

-Anthony

Attachments

• 1stPen Slimline African Mahagony.jpg
    1stPen Slimline African Mahagony.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 250
  • 2ndPen Slimline Cocobolo.jpg
    2ndPen Slimline Cocobolo.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 267
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Very nice pens, Anthony and Ken !!

Ken,

If you make a post on the "Introductions" forum your name will go into a draw for the newcomers monthly (or quarterly ?) prize.

Anthony,

You already did that I see.

turncrazy43

Anthony, nice first effort. Welcome to the IAP and the addition. Get your wallet ready to become lighter.
I figure my first pen cost me over $3,000. But the unit cost has come way down as the number of pens and items goes up. Best of lusk.
Turncrazy43

Dehn0045

The pen orders have gone through the roof.. Lets see, the wife wants one, my four sons each want one, daughter in-law gets one, my brother and sister in-law and Mom and Dad.
Phew!

Trust me, there's lots of money in giving away pens!

Pen Joe

great work, practice will us better and better, don't give up and don't give in.

Timber Ripper

Trust me, there's lots of money in giving away pens!

Yes, i am experiencing that.
A couple of my sons friends and my co-workers asked if i could make them a pen. So i asked them to cover the cost of the materials. Seems fair. (Basic Slimline and blank + finish $10)
That's just for extended family and friends

Beautys_Beast

***WARNING***WARNING***WARNING***

Pen turning is known to be highly addictive!!!

Continued pen turning may lead to difficulty with finances, social interaction, lack of concentration on normal day to day items, and cause severe problems in marriage. Please use extreme caution while turning.

You have been warned!

Great pens. You can look in the library for how to modify that slimline kit and expand your imagination. Just remember, just because you turned it, doesn't mean it needs to be made into a pen. You can find scrap wood to practice on anywhere.

Don't be afraid of acrylic either. It's cheap, and VERY easy to finish. No CA glue finish needed. Lot's of pretty colors.

Most important. Enjoy yourself.

OZturner

Anthony and Ken, as your intro's are similar, and as Ken has "co-joined Anthony's Post" the Following comments I offer equally apply.
Great selection of Hardware and Blanks,
Nicely Turned, Fitted and Finished.
With Kens Photographs, with the light background, the Profile and Edges, hence the Shape of the Pen is more easily determined. While Anthony's Dark Background, presents a dramatic vision, the profiles and edges are more difficult to determine.
Nice work Guys,
Try to keep your First Pen, and use it to gauge your progress over the coming Weeks, Month's and Years.
I look forward to seeing your Future Posts.
Regards,
Brian.

Last edited:

Timber Ripper

Anthony and Ken, as your intro's are similar, and as Ken has "co-joined Anthony's Post" the Following comments I offer equally apply.
Great selection of Hardware and Blanks,
Nicely Turned, Fitted and Finished.
With Kens Photographs, with the light background, the Profile and Edges, hence the Shape of the Pen is more easily determined. While Anthony's Dark Background, presents a dramatic vision, the profiles and edges are more difficult to determine.
Nice work Guys,
Try to keep your First Pen, and use it to gauge your progress over the coming Weeks, Month's and Years.
I look forward to seeing your Future Posts.
Regards,
Brian.
Thank you Brian,
I've made a few more pens that I will post on a lighter background. Unfortunately my only camera is an iPhone..

-Anthony

Top Bottom