My first Stick with a Clip

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Andrew_K99

Andrew_K99

Well, here it is, my first kitless pen. I love it but have lots that I want to change on the next one. It was a lot of fun to make!

The ebonite pen is 125mm long or 141mm capped. The body is 13.5mm and cap is 15mm at their widest. It uses M12x.75 threads for the cap/body connection and M9x.75 for the section/body and body/finial connection. It uses a Bock #5 nib and feed and a Lynn clip, both from IPD.

Comment, critique and suggestions for my next are welcome.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

AK

PS: After half hour last night messing around with our fancy DSLR camera I gave up and took these pictures this morning with my iPhone 5 on my desk at work. There are decent but I hope to improve on them in the future.

Attachments

• First1.JPG
    First1.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 667
  • First2.JPG
    First2.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 666
  • First3.JPG
    First3.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 669
  • First4.JPG
    First4.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 663
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glycerine

Dang! Mighty fine job Andrew!! I can't believe you used ebonite on your first. I have a piece in my shop that might even be the exact same as yours, but I've been afraid to use it until I get a few more "kitlesses" under my belt.
I take it this is an eyedropper?

Gilrock

Great job....you beat me to using that title...lol.

I know you gotta be proud of it. A lot of subtle things go into it that aren't obvious at first. Like the diameter of the cap to match the clip ring. I know on a couple of mine I forget about that until it's too late to make the cap grow a little. :)

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Andrew, I think you did a really nice job on this first pen, which looks like it could be number 101. You have the pattern matched from cap to barrel, the finish is great, as well as the shape. Good photos with your phone also. Looking forward to more pens, and what changes you have in mind. I'm really glad you posted it.

Andrew_K99

Dang! Mighty fine job Andrew!! I can't believe you used ebonite on your first. I have a piece in my shop that might even be the exact same as yours, but I've been afraid to use it until I get a few more "kitlesses" under my belt.
I take it this is an eyedropper?
No it's not an eye dropper (though it could be, I think?). It was designed to be used with a piston convertors or ink cartridges.

The ebonite was bought on ebay (as noted here) and works out to about 40¢ an inch or about the same price as cheaper acylic blanks. These were already round so it made it easier to start out with ... but yeah, I do feel kind of bad for the ebonite test pieces that won't see the light of day.

Thanks for all the kind comments thus far!!

AK

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Looks like you're on the right track. And don't feel bad about the ebonite. I have a bunch of rejects and test pieces as well.

Twissy

Fantastic work! Certainly looks like it is much further down the line than your first one. Lovely finish, and the exposed clip ring looks spot on. The only change I would make would be to seat the feed housing in a little further.....but then that's just how I like them.
:good:

Tortoise

That's beautiful! I'm still not brave enough to risk turning ebonite yet because I make so many mistakes. Congrats on a great first stick with a clip!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
For your next pen you may want to think about making your cap a little wider and burying the clip inside. turn a seat in the cap top, so the the clip ring will just fit into and then notching the cap so the tab can fit in it. For your first "stick with a clip" it is ok.

cnirenberg

Andrew,
Nice stick!!! Seriously, I really don't know why you even thought of not posting these pics of your awesome pen. Great pictures too.

Robert111

Well done Andrew! Amazing for a first tubeless pen. That section really looks super! You might try something a little different next time you use the ripple. Justin Short (Timebandit) did some beautiful pens using an empire clip in which he flipped the pattern so that the the ripples on the cap and barell went in opposite directions:

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_0768.JPG
    DSC_0768.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 254

Curly

Yuk! No rings, bling or doodads. Boring.

Way too plain. You never should have posted it! :biggrin: :wink:
Seriously it is a fantastic first and beyond.

watch_art

Well done Andrew! Amazing for a first tubeless pen. That section really looks super! You might try something a little different next time you use the ripple. Justin Short (Timebandit) did some beautiful pens using an empire clip in which he flipped the pattern so that the the ripples on the cap and barell went in opposite directions:

attachment.php

That's what Waterman used to do with their red ripple pens. Very pretty stuff.

Dustygoose

This is your first? My first attempt took me about 4 hours and I have many flaws, Almost trashed it.

I bought some of the Indian ebonite and am scared to try it yet.

This is a beautiful stick. I wish I can get this good sooner but I will practice.

watch_art

I turned a little of the Indian ebonite today to make a kit pencil. Very nice stuff. I think you'll like it. Turned like butter.

PenPal

Andrew,

I came in after many comments however including those kind ones already made I observed the way you ran the pattern closed and it is outstanding IMHO it emphasises the taper.

Continuing the same material to hold the nib is a masterstroke cause most pens fall down around there succumbing to using black material.

Worried about the thread lengths a bit short into the top of however convenient.

Neat special pen you have made and displayed well.

Kind regards Peter.

ironman123

Andrew that is a very elegant looking first Stick with a Clip. Great the way you have it perfectly lined up.

Pat yourself on the back. :bananen_smilies046:

Ray

Top Bottom