My first segmented pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cory Michaels

Still new here, but loving these forums. This is my first successful segmentation. The original blank had a brass divider, and a curvy diagonal. Alas that "one more pass" before sanding caught on the brass and totally destroyed the blank. So when I regrouped I kept it simple.
I still need to work on the fit and finish, but this was really just practice piece. Advice is always welcome.

Attachments

• 196F5868-3DB7-45C4-9237-1B80EB0C645C.jpeg
    196F5868-3DB7-45C4-9237-1B80EB0C645C.jpeg
    579.8 KB · Views: 203
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cory Michaels

Nice job. If I were you though, I wouldn't segment a slimline. There's very little material to work with and that really intensifies the chance of a failure.
Thanks Ken. Yeah, unfortunately I came across a discussion about why slimline was not the best choice for starting out making pens after I had purchased a dozen or so kits at $2 apiece. Now I have to work with what I've got until I sell a bowl or other item to buy new kits. I am working on a couple of slimline based mods that allow for a good deal more meat to work with. We'll see how those go :)

Cory Michaels

Great statr for segmenting, now you got caught in the segmented rabbit hole, Have fun and enjoy. By the way very nice looking pen.
Thank you. I have a few more designs on the workbench. Awaiting the arrival of my new bandsaw to hopefully help move some of this work along.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Very nice first segmenting. Welcome to a HUGE vortex if you catch the bug. Don't fuss over the slims - put them in a drawer for a while - they are excellent kits for many variations, so you will appreciate them in a while. Not the best as starters, but really nice for modifications.

Poke around here for concepts on Segmenting.

Have FUN!

Welcome to IAP Cory. ;)

KenB259

Thanks Ken. Yeah, unfortunately I came across a discussion about why slimline was not the best choice for starting out making pens after I had purchased a dozen or so kits at $2 apiece. Now I have to work with what I've got until I sell a bowl or other item to buy new kits. I am working on a couple of slimline based mods that allow for a good deal more meat to work with. We'll see how those go :)
One thing about the slim lines, if you've mastered them, you won't have any issues with other kits. As Mark said, they are great for modifying. Don't get me wrong, they can be segmented, you've proven that, they just are not the easiest ones.

Cory Michaels

One thing about the slim lines, they can be segmented, they just are not the easiest ones.
I seem to have issues with easy, lol I have always tended to shoot for things above my skill level. It's the only way to grow, by pushing myself.

KMCloonan

Still new here, but loving these forums. This is my first successful segmentation. The original blank had a brass divider, and a curvy diagonal. Alas that "one more pass" before sanding caught on the brass and totally destroyed the blank. So when I regrouped I kept it simple.
I still need to work on the fit and finish, but this was really just practice piece. Advice is always welcome.
Nice Pen! I like the contrasting colors, the angle of your cuts, and the great use of dividers. Excellent start down the rabbit hole ;)

Top Bottom