My First Segmented Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob Wemm

Bob Wemm

Well, they say there is always a first for everything:biggrin:.
I've wanted to try one of these for some time now, and finally got to start last week.
It took 5 or 6 attempts to get the angle correct, but finally got it close enough.:)
There are 49 pieces in this and they are Jarrah, Pine, Oregon, Tasmanian myrtle and two unknown species.
The bowl is 6.75in across and 5.25 tall, sanded to 400 grit and polished with Shellawax friction polish.
It's pretty basic but I am quite happy with the end result, considering it is my first attempt. The walls are 3/8 - 7/16, wasn't game to go much thinner.

Thank you for looking and I hope you like it.
C & C welcome.

Bob.

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 149
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 140
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 139
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Absolutely beautiful Bob! When I see work like this I can only imagine the detailed preparation needed to get the techniques down.

Beautiful combinations of timbers.

robutacion

Well done Bob, I knew that you wanted to try your hands on this type of work and from where I stand, with the eyes that I've got in my face, it seems to you made a few interesting alignments combinations not disregarding the woods you used but that spalted light colour wood looks like some of my Sugar Gum but, you would have the blank identified, wouldn't you...!

That is no small piece either, and I wonder Bob, how stable is it...??? is it bottom or top heavy...!

If there is a balance issue, you should have no problems in adding a wider foot with a gooseneck sort of thing to join at the existent base, being a segmented piece, one more piece of wood wouldn't hurt anything.

Please, don't take it the wrong way, you've got there a beautiful piece but, I don't really like the foot part but, that is me mate, that doesn't mean I'm right, huh...???

If I'm to give you my opinion, this is the one I have...!:)

The Pine wood you used on it, what sort of Pine was it...???

Cheers
George

Bob Wemm

Hi George,
Yeah Mate, like it says C & C welcome.
The pine I used is a bit from Bunnings, most likely Radiata.
The spalted wood is Tassy Myrtle, bloomin nice hey.
Regarding the balance, the base is Jarrah and fairly thick and quite heavy, so the piece is quite stable. I can rock it half way over and it rights itself so that will do me.
I do have to admit that the plan was to have a taller and wider foot, but guess what, at the crucial moment, OOPS there went half of it.:redface:
Thank you for your opinion.

Bob.:)

Well done Bob, I knew that you wanted to try your hands on this type of work and from where I stand, with the eyes that I've got in my face, it seems to you made a few interesting alignments combinations not disregarding the woods you used but that spalted light colour wood looks like some of my Sugar Gum but, you would have the blank identified, wouldn't you...!

That is no small piece either, and I wonder Bob, how stable is it...??? is it bottom or top heavy...!

If there is a balance issue, you should have no problems in adding a wider foot with a gooseneck sort of thing to join at the existent base, being a segmented piece, one more piece of wood wouldn't hurt anything.

Please, don't take it the wrong way, you've got there a beautiful piece but, I don't really like the foot part but, that is me mate, that doesn't mean I'm right, huh...???

If I'm to give you my opinion, this is the one I have...!:)

The Pine wood you used on it, what sort of Pine was it...???

Cheers
George

Top Bottom