My first Rollerball! Need some help tho! PLEASE!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bsshog40

bsshog40

My first Rollerball!

So I just got done making this Legacy Woodturning Classic Rollerball Pen. Everything seemed to go ok until I put the pen refill in. It was about 3/8" too short. I wound up having to cut a piece of the tip protector and put behind the refill to get the tip to come out the end. The spring would not go on after I did this. I bought a 6 pack set of kits and the same size refill is in all the sets. Did they send me the wrong refills or is there something I didn't do right? The tubes are of the same length so I don't think it is a tube swap issue. Thanks for any help.
Anyway, done in Teak wood with a CA finish.
:confused:

Attachments

• Ballpoint 2.jpg
    Ballpoint 2.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 270
  • Ballpoint 1.jpg
    Ballpoint 1.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

There is some confusion here. . Your title mentions "Rollerball". . The kit name you give includes the word "Ballpoint". The refills are different for each of these two types of kit.

The two different refills cannot be switched.

The difference in the length of the two refills is very close to 0.5", with the Rollerball refill being the longer.
If you look closely, the tips of the two refills look different.
If you compare the contours of the refill portions near the nibs they are quite different.

The Rollerball refill supplied with many kits is black plastic and usually a Schmidt brand "Safety ceramic roller 888 F".
The Ballpoint refill supplied with most kits is silvery metal usually with no brand name.
Looking closely at the nib shown in your second picture it appears to be a Ballpoint refill as best as I can tell. . Too short for a rollerball pen kit.

I think this may be the source of your kit, and it would seem to be a Rollerball.

Legacy Classic Roller Ball Pen Kit - Gold - The Woodturning Store

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The picture shows a pen that is a rollerball.

We had this question last week, the spring goes BEHIND the refill. Whatever you cut off and inserted, take it out. Install the spring BEHIND the refill and the pen should work.

bsshog40

There is some confusion here. . Your title mentions "Rollerball". . The kit name you give includes the word "Ballpoint". The refills are different for each of these two types of kit.

The two different refills cannot be switched.

The difference in the length of the two refills is very close to 0.5", with the Rollerball refill being the longer.
If you look closely, the tips of the two refills look different.
If you compare the contours of the refill portions near the nibs they are quite different.

The Rollerball refill supplied with many kits is black plastic and usually a Schmidt brand "Safety ceramic roller 888 F".
The Ballpoint refill supplied with most kits is silvery metal usually with no brand name.

I think this may be the source of your kit, and it would seem to be a Rollerball.

Legacy Classic Roller Ball Pen Kit - Gold - The Woodturning Store
Yea I called it the wrong kit not really knowing the difference. I changed my title but forgot to change the paragraph. It is the Classic Rollerball kit. The refill is Black Plastic. The overall length is 4 3/8". I bought this set from The woodturning store.

Gersh

In looking at the instructions, assuming it is the classic rollerball pen, the tubes are a different length. The cap tube should be an eighth of an inch shorter. Additionally where are you placing the spring? With rollerballs it goes at the end of the refill (away from the tip) while a ballpoint slides over the tip. Reach out if you've got further questions or I wasnt helpful

bsshog40

The picture shows a pen that is a rollerball.

We had this question last week, the spring goes BEHIND the refill. Whatever you cut off and inserted, take it out. Install the spring BEHIND the refill and the pen should work.
Thank you Ed! That was it! Guess I looked at the instructions with my dyslexia. Lol

bsshog40

Well now that problem is over. I had to modify my parting tool for this pen. You have to cut a tenon for the center band. It is a 1/8" tenon and my parting tool was 3/16". So I had to grind down the side 1/16" so I could get the tenon in between the bushing. I probably wouldn't of had to do that if I had known that it was a tenon down to the brass tube. I could have just put a bushing at the end and cut it down. Oh well, I can reshape the parting tool. Lol

bsshog40

In looking at the instructions, assuming it is the classic rollerball pen, the tubes are a different length. The cap tube should be an eighth of an inch shorter. Additionally where are you placing the spring? With rollerballs it goes at the end of the refill (away from the tip) while a ballpoint slides over the tip. Reach out if you've got further questions or I wasnt helpful
I got it Gersh, spring in the back. Btw, the tubes are the same size. Its just the lower body tube has to have 1/8" of the blank cut off the tube. The centerband slides over that 1/8" of brass tube.

Gersh

Sorry for the duplicate info. After I hit post it reloaded with the other posts. Have fun with the rest of your kits. Cant wait to see them

dylskee

Never mind, I just read this again and I understand now! I just bought 10 kits of this pen and ran into the tubes being the same length, and you guys provided the answer I'm looking for! Thank you, this place is great!

Top Bottom