My first Roadster pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Warren White

I recently purchased some Roadster kits from Craft Supplies USA, and some wood at McBeath Hardwood.

I like the hefty feel of the Roadster pens, as well as the look of the finished pen. They go together like a Slimline, but the profile is different. The only concern I had is one that I have had with the CSUSA's Slimlines I have purchased in the past; the twist mechanism is sometimes damaged BEFORE it is used. Out of four pens I assembled, one had serious issues with the twist mechanism. It was dented at the screw end, and I didn't notice it until it had been inserted into the blank. As a result, the twist to make the refill advance and retract was much stiffer than I would have liked.

The woods I used were Padauk and Australian Burl. It was interesting working with Padauk; it is really RED and it gets everywhere when you sand. After sanding, it took several pieces of paper towel and DNA to remove the red dust from the pen. The Australian Burl was very blah after turning and sanding, but when I cleaned it with DNA, the grain really popped. It 'liked' the CA finish that enhanced the grain.

I hope you enjoy looking at the pens and I apologize in advance for my photography; just an iPad picture. Your comments are always appreciated.
IMG_0018.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DrD

I love working with Padauk! Had a client years back that ordered a variety of fountain pens, roller balls, ball points and pencils - all in Padauk.

Warren White

It certainly looks the same to me. I assume they have a the same vendor. There is a slight difference in the bushings, particularly the center bushing (.440 vs .425).

PenPal

Many moons ago Papa Sing AKA Dick Sing had pen kits where the lower part was longer than the top sold out of Salt Lake,named after Dick.

All of these pens have class and yess the wider centre band can be purchased at Timberbits.com in 6 or so variations ie Gold,silver,Chrome,black and copper to name a few.

Kind regards my friend and yes they came up quite well. I make a habit of hand winding mechs before fitting and always pressing them extended.

Peter.Your friend in Australia.

Top Bottom