My first ring

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from NGLJ

NGLJ

I tried my hand at ring making (no pun intended). It certainly requires a delicate touch - see attached. My first attempts weren't wholly successful. I got started because I wanted to make one for my wife as a surprise but I got the size wrong by measuring a ring she has but I now realize she does not use :(. Plus, believe it not, my wife now wears my gold wedding ring. It just goes to show how we change over time. So, I decided to make a "wedding" ring for myself since my wife has urged me to have something. I could have purchased one but this is more personal. I think the wood is bocote and it has a CA finish for durability.

Attachments

• P1010451.JPG
    P1010451.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 92
  • P1010452.JPG
    P1010452.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 98
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
You did a nice job! And I love the story - My wife and I have non-traditional rings also, so I appreciate your story, very nice.

NGLJ

Unfortunately it is the last thing I will be making for a while. My woodworking has resulted in an inflamed tendon in my right arm (Golfer's elbow) which is creating nerve pain. It even hurts when I cough! I am having to sleep in a chair because I cannot sleep lying down, too panful. Very frustrated right now and can't wait to get back into my shop. This is the second episode but this is much worse than the first time. I will have to think very carefully in order to avoid any future occurrence when hopefully this has gone. I am due for a cortisone injection on Monday and am taking medication. This is a lesson for all of us to look after our bodies as we get older in order to keep doing the things that we love and are so much a part of what keeps us mentally stable. There is nothing worse than feeling deprived of something that matters so much to one, especially if you suspect it is in part self inflicted by the way you have operated. Life has tough lessons!

mmayo

Good job. I'm glad this worked for you.

Beware

I've made about 30 of these with bocote, blood wood and BOW. I can guarantee that I was precise in using a boring tool to get the hole very tight. Not too tight that no glue would be left, but tight. I sanded the outside of the core, used epoxy glue, waited overnight and turned the rings. All were finished in CA and buffed to a great shine. They seemed perfect and were popular.

Bad news - four have failed! It seems that the stainless steel and wood either expand differently or moisture caused the wood to separate from the metal. Since I sold these I ended up remaking them at first until it happened a second time. I've refunded the purchase price, apologized and tossed all my rings made this way. Two were used in a ceremony so they were very unhappy.

My other rings that have titanium inlay opalescent crystals have not failed nor have the ceramic core rings. One saved a guy's fingers when they might have been crushed at work without serious damage to the ring.

As always your results can be better

Attachments

• 98BBDE51-F0B3-4084-B52D-24793D1914EA.jpeg
    98BBDE51-F0B3-4084-B52D-24793D1914EA.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 65
  • D7DBEAB2-7B1D-4645-965A-BD5D39C830A0.jpeg
    D7DBEAB2-7B1D-4645-965A-BD5D39C830A0.jpeg
    336.3 KB · Views: 75

NGLJ

Thanks for the great advice. I don't know at this point how much I will pursue ring making. I never had any intention to sell them. I am always looking for something to challenge me and that is why I tried ring making. If we don't go on challenging ourselves where is the fun:)

Top Bottom