My First Resin Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from vtgaryw

vtgaryw

Disclaimer - I don't turn many bowls. But this winter I was casting PR and miniature fir tree cones for pen blanks, so I cast this blank (about 3" diameter) in a plastic food cup. I used a core of hard maple that I had already turned down, a cutoff from a pepper mill. Finally got around to finishing it up. I was very pleased with the color. Overall, a few things I'd do different. I probably left the wall thicker than I needed to, but I was bound and determined I wasn't going to let it blow up. And, next time, I'd use something a little softer for the core. But overall pretty happy.

Gary

Attachments

• Resin Bowl 1.jpeg
    Resin Bowl 1.jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 221
  • Resin Bowl 2.jpeg
    Resin Bowl 2.jpeg
    277.2 KB · Views: 230
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vtgaryw

Awesome bowl! I turned a resin bowl once and have no plans for another, so I know the work you went through to make that. Great colors, nice shape and finish, really well done.
Thanks. Yeah, I don't think I could ever sell them, I couldn't charge enough for the work that goes into them. I've got a few more in mind to make now though...

Lucky2

Gary, for a first, you did a fairly good job. And yes the sidewalls are a bit thick, but I understand why and I agree with the reasoning behind leaving it that way. The better resin & wood bowls to turn, are the ones that are made with pieces of wood throughout the blank. On those ones, you hit wood more often then on the type you turned. That makes the turning much easier, because you're not or hardly ever turning just resin like you did with this piece. try one like that, you will find that it turns much easier.

Len

vtgaryw

Gary, for a first, you did a fairly good job. And yes the sidewalls are a bit thick, but I understand why and I agree with the reasoning behind leaving it that way. The better resin & wood bowls to turn, are the ones that are made with pieces of wood throughout the blank. On those ones, you hit wood more often then on the type you turned. That makes the turning much easier, because you're not or hardly ever turning just resin like you did with this piece. try one like that, you will find that it turns much easier.

Len
Funny you said that, I've got one like that all queued up for the next time I crank up the pressure pot!

Top Bottom