My first pic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jb_pratt

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb_pratt

I have only been turning a few weeks so any comments and/or constructive criticism from you experts would be much appreciated. This pen is a maple burl cigar pen with platinum fittings. I have 2 other pens posted in my album.

2005125181424_maple%20burl%20iap.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodscavenger

Nice work. These are obviously not the first turnings you have done. I would never have been brave enough to used figured woods for my first attempts. Mainly because I am too cheap....but I also suck at the use of the skew at this point. Right now I have a bit of red heart on the mandrel that is eating me for breakfast. For some reason I can't get that peice to cut cleanly. I am not really impressed with the color anyway so I wll likely junk the blank altogether.

PenWorks

Good looking pen JB. Nice selection on the materials for a rookie [:D]

Platinum kit with a nice piece of figured wood, I like that, good job

Anthony

tipusnr

YOu must have some prior woodworking experience to do that good a job right out of the blocks! Didn't even start with a slimline kit. Great job!!!

G

A few weeks huuh?
RINGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am only saying this because you asked and because I too the time to look at your album.
The walnut pen in your album and this one have that "dart" shape on the bottom as opposed to the straightness of the figured poplar.
Now I like to put a "bump" on the lower barrel for gripping ease and so do my customers.
The profile of the bottom makes it look "heavy"
Not unpleasant, but the cigar is a pretty good sized pen to begin with.
How does it feel?
Do you have large hands?
Now here's where eveyone yells at me for speaking my mind.
The finish looks outstanding and that is the most difficult part of making a pen from what I have experienced.
Design is right up there though.

daledut

I think you're sand baggin' on us. That does not look like the work of a newbee.

The choice of wood, kit and hardware is great. The fit and finish looks fantastic. The photo is quite good too.

I think maybe we should ask you for advice. Keep up the good work.

jb_pratt

Last year my father took a turning class from Dale Nish in Provo and just loved it. In the fall for my birthday my father gave me a pen he had turned. Truthfully I was extremely touched that he spent time making me the perfect pen. Over Christmas I visited him and he took me out to his shop and showed me how he made it. I was instantly hooked!! I came home, ordered all my equipment and have been turning for two whole weeks now. As for choice of wood I had read that the figured woods and the burl woods were more difficult to turn; I figured I’d start on these, I like a good challenge. Thanks all for your comments.

jb_pratt

Eagle,

Thanks for your comments. As for the dart at the end; after watching Bill Baumbeck’s pen turning video I decided to give it a try on a few pens. As for me I do not have large hands but I gave this pen to a friend of mine who is elderly and has arthritic hands. I’d ask her how she likes it but she would say she loved it even if she didn’t. [:)]

Originally posted by Eaglesc
<br />A few weeks huuh?
RINGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am only saying this because you asked and because I too the time to look at your album.
The walnut pen in your album and this one have that "dart" shape on the bottom as opposed to the straightness of the figured poplar.
Now I like to put a "bump" on the lower barrel for gripping ease and so do my customers.
The profile of the bottom makes it look "heavy"
Not unpleasant, but the cigar is a pretty good sized pen to begin with.
How does it feel?
Do you have large hands?
Now here's where eveyone yells at me for speaking my mind.
The finish looks outstanding and that is the most difficult part of making a pen from what I have experienced.
Design is right up there though.

jkirkb94

I like the pen, JB.[:)] I have added a bump on a few of my cigars and several of my Euros. I have carpal tunnel and it makes it easier to write. Also many of my customers have shown interest in the extra diameter. Some prefer the regular designs. Kirk[8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom