My first pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Aeternyx

Aeternyx

Hi everyone,
I just thought I would share my first few pens. My wife bought me my lathe for Christmas in 2019. I was very excited but I'm embarrassed to say it took me 11 months to get the garage cleared and a spot made for it. Since then I've turned 4 pens (and blown up 2 others. RIP)

The first was made from olive wood which I gifted to my wife. The next 3 were deer antler bullet pens which I am gifting to my father-in-law and two brother-in-laws, all of whom are avid hunters.

So far its been a ton of fun and I'm really enjoying it. Looking forward to going back to wood for a bit though. The antlers are pretty but I don't love working with them.

Attachments

• 20210105_200605.jpg
    20210105_200605.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 268
  • 20201215_191845.jpg
    20201215_191845.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 224
  • 20201210_184018.jpg
    20201210_184018.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 218
  • 20201205_151528.jpg
    20201205_151528.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 260
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Morrison

These do not look like someone's first pens.
They are well turned and a great start.
I am sure that your pens were well received.
And, Welcome to the forum.

Alan

Aeternyx

These do not look like someone's first pens.
They are well turned and a great start.
I am sure that your pens were well received.
And, Welcome to the forum.

Alan
Thank you! What you can't see is the 4-5 blanks I destroyed because I can't drill a straight line, or the one I super glued to the bushing and destroyed getting apart. But the upside of having an 11 month delayed start is I had a lot of time to read and watch YouTube videos so I learned a lot about CA finishes and whatnot from that. It's really enjoyable and I look forward to making more. :)

Alan Morrison

Thank you! What you can't see is the 4-5 blanks I destroyed because I can't drill a straight line, or the one I super glued to the bushing and destroyed getting apart. But the upside of having an 11 month delayed start is I had a lot of time to read and watch YouTube videos so I learned a lot about CA finishes and whatnot from that. It's really enjoyable and I look forward to making more. :)
If you drill your blanks on the lathe then you should not have any problems drilling straight.
You also know the old saying...'The man that never made a mistake never made anything '. Everyone could fill pages with the mistakes they have made and that's how you improve. When I finish a pen I always look to see how I could have made it better.
Alan

Aeternyx

If you drill your blanks on the lathe then you should not have any problems drilling straight.
You also know the old saying...'The man that never made a mistake never made anything '. Everyone could fill pages with the mistakes they have made and that's how you improve. When I finish a pen I always look to see how I could have made it better.
Alan
Unfortunately, I don't have a Chuck yet so I don't think I can drill them on the lathe? But my parents gifted me a rockler drill guide for Christmas and that seems like it will help tremendously.

sorcerertd

Welcome. Have to agree those are awfully nice first pens! I personally feel that the bolt action pens are nice to start with, even if they are a little pricier than some other options. It's almost an instant cool pen!

The accessories can add up fast, but for making pens, the $30 for a chuck will be worth the investment for the time you save. Of course, then you will need a chuck and pen jaws to hold the blank, too. Hmm, and then... well, I still don't know where that road ends. Anybody else know? At least it's an enjoyable ride.

Aeternyx

Welcome. Have to agree those are awfully nice first pens! I personally feel that the bolt action pens are nice to start with, even if they are a little pricier than some other options. It's almost an instant cool pen!

The accessories can add up fast, but for making pens, the $30 for a chuck will be worth the investment for the time you save. Of course, then you will need a chuck and pen jaws to hold the blank, too. Hmm, and then... well, I still don't know where that road ends. Anybody else know? At least it's an enjoyable ride.
Yeah the chuck/jaws will be my next big purchase but that will have to wait a month or two. Looking forward to it though!

Micky D

Hi everyone,
I just thought I would share my first few pens. My wife bought me my lathe for Christmas in 2019. I was very excited but I'm embarrassed to say it took me 11 months to get the garage cleared and a spot made for it. Since then I've turned 4 pens (and blown up 2 others. RIP)

The first was made from olive wood which I gifted to my wife. The next 3 were deer antler bullet pens which I am gifting to my father-in-law and two brother-in-laws, all of whom are avid hunters.

So far its been a ton of fun and I'm really enjoying it. Looking forward to going back to wood for a bit though. The antlers are pretty but I don't love working with them.
Nice looking pens! We can't see the blown ones because you didn't post a pic- therefore, they don't exist. So! No worries!! We've all destroyed blanks. It happens. Just keep at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Great job. I have only made 2 antler pens and not a big fan of them yet I did sell one.

Top Bottom