My first pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jarred

Jarred

BE90FB2D-0A01-4C80-85D7-33E9530BC3C1.jpeg
Turned my first two pens today using slimline kits from Craft Supplies. The first (right) I think is padauk— went ok, but didn't quite finish it well with CA. The second went better in walnut. I was a bit shy around the bush is, not wanting to damage them— as a result the barrels are a bit wide at the ends.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Don't be too critical. There is nothing wrong with either and you resisted the newbie trap of making fat sausages. Well done, you are off to a great start

thomgarner

For your first you did really well, with more practice you will do even better. The finish work is really well done. Congratulations and welcome.

mick

They look great! You're off to a good start. Believe it or not my first pen oh so many yrs ago was a slimline from walnut with the same lines cut into it! Great minds I guess.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jarred

Thanks everyone for the kind words. It really is quite addicting. I made 5 more today, and I'm running out of the first kits I bought! Wolf Creek— I am in Bozeman, are you in the area? Here is another photo of a couple of pens from the morning. Not sure what the woods are— maybe yellowheart and lightly figured zebrawood. Hope everyone is staying safe and sane.

Attachments

• 8A813EA8-DD87-46D7-BFF7-7830899AFBDF.jpeg
    8A813EA8-DD87-46D7-BFF7-7830899AFBDF.jpeg
    525 KB · Views: 204

sbwertz

An easy way to cut flush with the bushings without damaging them is to lay the skew flat and level on the rest and use it like a scraper. Position it so that the point is right at the bushing and swing the handle to pivot the skew around the last little bit that need to be trimmed off, until the tip of the skew is right at the edge of the bushing. You can get it very smooth that way without damaging the bushings.

magpens

Again, I like those decorative black rings !! . Well done on these two new pens !! . You are off to a good start !!

I assume the black rings are done with a "burn wire". . How do you avoid the wire slipping sideways when you start to do the burn ?
Maybe that is not a likely occurrence when the wood barrel surface does not have much curvature or slope.

howsitwork

Again, I like those decorative black rings !! . Well done on these two new pens !! . You are off to a good start !!

I assume the black rings are done with a "burn wire". . How do you avoid the wire slipping sideways when you start to do the burn ?
Maybe that is not a likely occurrence when the wood barrel surface does not have much curvature or slope.
try making a tiny V with the point of you're skew chisel directly into the wood. Only needs to be tiny ten wire locates in it

Tom— Just looked at your profile. Makes sense that you are in Wolf Creek MT! Duh... been a long week.

I get to Bozeman on occasion when my son travels out for business. He's a Director from an IT company out of Iowa. My wife and I are trying to convince him and his wife to relocate to Bozeman but he loves Des Moines so that probably won't happen. Glad to see another Montanan on the site, there's not too many of us. Nice job on the pens.

Top Bottom