My first pens ever

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BoonareeBurl

BoonareeBurl

All you turners seem to have so much fun, I couldn't resist and signed up for a pen-turning class at a local Rockler. It was awesome. Very zen. I can see why people turn. For my collection, I'm still going to the professionals for those pens ... but in 5 or 10 years, who knows, maybe I'll be turning my own.

Purpleheart (supplied by Rockler) and goncalo alves (from a flooring sample I had!).

20230108_161149.jpg

20230108_161216.jpg

G

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BULLWINKLE

All you turners seem to have so much fun, I couldn't resist and signed up for a pen-turning class at a local Rockler. It was awesome. Very zen. I can see why people turn. For my collection, I'm still going to the professionals for those pens ... but in 5 or 10 years, who knows, maybe I'll be turning my own.

Purpleheart (supplied by Rockler) and goncalo alves (from a flooring sample I had!).

View attachment 346533

View attachment 346534

G
Very good work. I like a friction polish on wood but many like CA. I do a lot of acrylics but on wood I prefer a natural feel not plastic. Your first two turned out great !

BoonareeBurl

Very good work. I like a friction polish on wood but many like CA. I do a lot of acrylics but on wood I prefer a natural feel not plastic. Your first two turned out great !
Thanks for your (and everyone else's) kind and generous feedback. Yeah, I prefer a more natural look and feel, too. Most of the pens in my collection have a lower-gloss CA finish, but I'm really liking the shellawax I used yesterday. VERY natural but still a little sheen (and some protection). Thanks again!

TDahl

Very nice. I think you will fine your skill level will increase with each pen you turn. The more you progress, the more you want to turn. It is very addicting.

Top Bottom