My first pen...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tiggere

Our turning club had a pen clinic this morning and my son and I turned our first ever pens...wood is cherry with a Myland friction finish and Carnuba wax...

Attachments

• IMG_1730.JPG
    IMG_1730.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 192
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tiggere

Thanks everyone...

Mark, everyone did ok and we didn't wind up needing to replace a blank...I will say though, there were some very nice looking blanks in that box and I can't wait until I get a lathe worthy of turning them with...I did go to the hardwood store and picked up a beautiful piece of Pecan scrap for next to nothing...I can't wait to see something turned out of it as well...

Are TBC Euro bushings a thing? Do most people use a mandrel for the pens that require two parts or do you turn them separately?

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Are TBC Euro bushings a thing? Do most people use a mandrel for the pens that require two parts or do you turn them separately?

If I have the TBC bushings for a particular kit, I will use them. Most often I use a mandrel and a mandrel saver, and only turn one section at a time. I will loosen the tailstock every now and then durning the turning (lathe off), and rotate the section and bushings slightly to even out any slight "out-of-roundness."

tiggere

Thanks Mark...I noticed we had some out of round issues and I know I cleaned the headstock/tailstock MT2 tapers out really good...they were pretty dirty and I had read the post about someone having chips in there so was on the lookout for that...the mandrels we used looked to be the PSI (Hurricane) mandrel and mandrel saver...

I assume the one at a time is to keep it more towards the headstock MT2 end for mandrel stiffness and to help not bend the mandrel?

WriteON

Thanks everyone...

Mark, everyone did ok and we didn't wind up needing to replace a blank...I will say though, there were some very nice looking blanks in that box and I can't wait until I get a lathe worthy of turning them with...I did go to the hardwood store and picked up a beautiful piece of Pecan scrap for next to nothing...I can't wait to see something turned out of it as well...

That first pen is a great start. Nice going. I use a Mandrel for every pen.... especially 2 piece kits. It's easier to keep the grain or pattern lined up. And it's more productive. However there are no rules.

Top Bottom