My First Mammoth Tooth Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from NewfoundlandLaw

Hey All

Here is my first Mammoth Tooth Pen.

It took 3 hours to rough shape and 90 minutes to sand/polish, but I am very happy with the outcome.

If you try Mammoth Tooth, be sure to have lots of carbides on hand as this material will dull them in a matter of minutes. Most of my carbide edges were damaged beyond re-sharpening.

I have 5 more blanks in different colours on hand. I will post those as I finish them.

IMG_8702.JPG
IMG_8714.JPG
IMG_8721.JPG
IMG_8710.JPG

"Pen Turning on the Rock"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lucky2

Marc, I really like this kit and blank, but you left far to much material on the body. Personally, I prefer an almost straight body on this kit, leaving the amount of blank you left, makes the pen look heavy. There's lots of people who like this shape real well, so you should be able to sell it quickly, especially, once they know what material the blank is I'm sorry for the negative reply, but I like to be honest with what I reply.

Len

Marc, I really like this kit and blank, but you left far to much material on the body. Personally, I prefer an almost straight body on this kit, leaving the amount of blank you left, makes the pen look heavy. There's lots of people who like this shape real well, so you should be able to sell it quickly, especially, once they know what material the blank is I'm sorry for the negative reply, but I like to be honest with what I reply.

Len

This particular pen leaves almost no material when you make the body straight. (1.5mm max.)

This would be very very very risky when working with mammoth, especially cross segmented mammoth like this. It probably could be done, but I'd expect the failure rate to be very high. Hence the shape.

carlmorrell

How did you drill it? I really screwed one up a few years ago. I have more pieces but am afraid to repeat my mistake. Did you just use the 10.5 and 12.5? or did you start small and work your way up? Wet or Dry? What type of drill?

Thanks in advance, Carl

How did you drill it? I really screwed one up a few years ago. I have more pieces but am afraid to repeat my mistake. Did you just use the 10.5 and 12.5? or did you start small and work your way up? Wet or Dry? What type of drill?

Thanks in advance, Carl

I used a self cantering pen Vice in a Nova Voyager DVR Drill Press.

The Nova Voyager is a 2HP direct driven digital drill press with electronic speed control that has a speed range of 50-5500RPM. (5500RPM is screaming fast for a drill press.) This allows me to set precise RPM when drilling. Its pricey but I consider it absolutely essential when making pens, knives, etc.

I drilled with a fresh metal drill bit at 200RPM and very light pressure. This put minimal stress and heat into the blank and gave really nice results.

View attachment 237361

carlmorrell

the "view attachment" yields:
Oops! We ran into some problems.
You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

PaulWitmer

Beautiful pen. Congrats !!. I always wanted to try Mammoth Tooth and maybe I will one day. I can't wait to see the other colors you have.

Paul

Top Bottom