My first in a looong time!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Warren White

Warren White

This isn't as much showing you pens I have turned, as it is on why I haven't turned much for quite a while. I wonder if I am the only one so affected.

Since the beginning of the COVID thing, my wife and I (both 80 years old) have taken what we consider reasonable precautions. We are vaccinated and boosted. We mask whenever we are shopping (and generally we shop early in the day); we generally avoid crowds, even when we are masked; we don't travel like we used to (I can't imagine the days before COVID when we said to each other "We haven't been to Alaska; why don't we take a cruise/inland trip?"....and we just went without even thinking about what we might catch!)

Thus far, we have been spared the virus while most of our immediate family have not.

What has this to do with pen turning? I don't know, I just don't do it like I used to. I have probably only turned perhaps 6 pens since this all started. So the question: Anybody else on this forum letting the virus affect your turning?

Incidentally, these are Wall Street II from Woodcraft.

Attachments

• IMG_1188.jpeg
    IMG_1188.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 127
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Those are two beautiful pens Warren. As to your question: I agree with all your precautions. It's a personal choice and my wife and I are comfortable with it. We have just recently begun to travel, but have no hesitation to be careful, and avoid those that do not wish to - we prefer to stay with those with values similar to ourselves.

I have not done much turning the past 2-3 years for factors in addition to Covid, but I remember where my shop is and the tools will be there when needed. The little I have done recently was very enjoyable.

Be well.

PenPal

My good friends we conversed recently and yes. At church yesterday Wilma and me were in the heavy minority wearing masks. One of our son in laws working in Sydney spent a day working at another branch in Sydney on his birthday contracted Covid for the third time innoculated 4 times even. On his way to hospital cannot breathe. So much to be aware of. My excuse is the cold and wet we have had years of pent up rain and a bleak winter. Blessed govt is putting the frighteners on Gas all new housing will not get gas connection,electricity through the roof. We just installed a new central heating hydronic boiler. None the less all the best to you and Kathleen and your family mate,I really enjoy our friendship.

Warren White

Those are two beautiful pens Warren. As to your question: I agree with all your precautions. It's a personal choice and my wife and I are comfortable with it. We have just recently begun to travel, but have no hesitation to be careful, and avoid those that do not wish to - we prefer to stay with those with values similar to ourselves.

I have not done much turning the past 2-3 years for factors in addition to Covid, but I remember where my shop is and the tools will be there when needed. The little I have done recently was very enjoyable.

Be well.
Hi Mark! Thanks for the reply. Your comment about your own shop is just how I feel. My other problem (which I am sorry to have to admit) is that with the passage of time between turnings, I find I forget some of the nuances of turning. For example, two pens I tried just before these did not turn out well because I forgot an essential step! I forgot to paint the inside of the tubes and it looked HORRIBLE! So, not only do I have concerns with COVID I am getting old!!! Bummer! But it is still fun and I really enjoy it (unless my mind wanders too far off)!

Warren White

My good friends we conversed recently and yes. At church yesterday Wilma and me were in the heavy minority wearing masks. One of our son in laws working in Sydney spent a day working at another branch in Sydney on his birthday contracted Covid for the third time innoculated 4 times even. On his way to hospital cannot breathe. So much to be aware of. My excuse is the cold and wet we have had years of pent up rain and a bleak winter. Blessed govt is putting the frighteners on Gas all new housing will not get gas connection,electricity through the roof. We just installed a new central heating hydronic boiler. None the less all the best to you and Kathleen and your family mate,I really enjoy our friendship.
Hi Peter! Always good to hear from you. We are in the same minority at Church as you are, but we do what makes us comfortable and give others around us their right to their choices. I hope your son-in-law is doing better. Around here, lots of folks are getting it, but everyone I have heard about have mild cases and are over it in a week or so.

Please take care, and keep up the absolutely marvelous work you do turning. Always truly beautiful.... I really love the New Zealand Pao Shell fragments pen you recently posted.

Woodchipper

Peter, glad you are doing well. What is the blank material? My complements on the pen.
We have a relative who is a nurse practitioner. States that no matter what precautions you take, you will be exposed to the virus or anything else when out and about.

Top Bottom