My First Full Celtic Knot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fine Engineer

This is a pen I made for my son-in-law for Christmas. After all the half knots, this is my first full Celtic Knot, and I'm rather pleased with the result.
Last year I made him a frame for a small poster my daughter gave him. We went up to Lake Tahoe and found a nice log in a burn pile, and I milled that into lumber and mad the frame with it (the poster was all the ski resorts in Tahoe, so it seemed like a cool idea to make the frame from wood gathered from Tahoe itself).
For this project, I had some mahogany from a similar project for a friend who is a docent at the Thunderbird Lodge. The wood was purchased for eventual repairs to the Thunderbird yacht, so it also has a direct tie to the Lake Tahoe area. The know it milled from maple to match the kerf of my bandsaw blade (about 0.050").
I love making things with materials that have a story.
1223211351.jpg
1223211532.jpg

1223211532a.jpg
1223211533.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fine Engineer

Excellent work. Well done and you learned well. The sky is the limit. Keep up the good work.
Thanks John.
What is interesting is that the full Celtic knots seem to be easier to do than the half knots that I've been doing. With the inserts going all the way across the blank, it creates stability where the half knots ended at the intersection point making for weak spots. I didn't know I was doing the harder one first.

Jeff

Top Bottom