My first fountain pen and 5th pen overall

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from chartle

chartle

Also first try at a professional shoot.

Its part of a Pen and pencil set for my son's college graduation. Have to make the pencil tonight.

Hope I haven't made a faux pas by posting here first. I hate introductions. :)

Bloodwood with maple half celtic knot insert, woodcraft kit. During sanding it appears the bloodwood stained the maple but I kind of like it.

Attachments

• 0420151009-2.jpg
    0420151009-2.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 449
  • 0420151010-2.jpg
    0420151010-2.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chartle

Oh and while I'm new to pen turning (first wanted to do it 35 years ago) not new to woodworking or turning in general but only picked back up turning a few weeks ago.

Charlie_W

Congratulations on this pen! I think you did a splendid job on the knot as well as the pen and finish!
Please post a pic of the pencil too.
Also, Welcome from Virginia!

OZturner

Great Pen "chartle"
Excellent, Half Celtic Knot Blank, Fit and Finish.
Look forward to seeing the Pencil.
Will make a Great Life Time Gift, for your Son.
Congratulations,
Brian.

SteveG

You have turned a very nice pen, and will likely get grabbed by the addictive nature of this pursuit. I am not knowing what finish you are using, but if you use CA, there is a way to minimize the transference of color to lighter woods. It is very difficult to remove coloration from the maple without turning it away. Instead try to prevent the color from getting there. Those really good with the skew will not sand at all. I approach this challenge by sealing the maple with thin CA prior to any sanding, and reapply the CA quite frequently through the entire sanding process so that you are never exposing unsealed Maple to the red sanding dust (and dye). I expect you can use the same principle with whatever sealing finish you are using. Great work...keep it up!

chartle

You have turned a very nice pen, and will likely get grabbed by the addictive nature of this pursuit. I am not knowing what finish you are using, but if you use CA, there is a way to minimize the transference of color to lighter woods. It is very difficult to remove coloration from the maple without turning it away. Instead try to prevent the color from getting there. Those really good with the skew will not sand at all. I approach this challenge by sealing the maple with thin CA prior to any sanding, and reapply the CA quite frequently through the entire sanding process so that you are never exposing unsealed Maple to the red sanding dust (and dye). I expect you can use the same principle with whatever sealing finish you are using. Great work...keep it up!

Yes its a CA finish and I know about wetting it with CA before sanding or only using a skew.

I don't trust my skew work just yet and this was a gift for Saturday so didn't want to mess it up. So I sanded with 80 grit the last 1/32th or so to final shape. I was also rushing and it didn't even cross my mind.

Using DNA to clean it may have also helped to transfer the color.

I am going to use the CA trick on an inlay pen. My wife's voice teacher just got her PhD last week and I showed her the piano inlay kit at Rockler. So I'm forced :wink: to make her one, well really a pencil since that what they use day to day on their music.

I searched and found the blank and a pencil kit on Exotic Blanks. But since coming here I've read that a certain bit of kit can turn any Parker refill into a pencil.

chartle

Didn't have time to finish my pencil, waiting for the epoxy to really setup for the inserts. So I finished the test pen I made to try out my half celtic knot by turning the bottom.

Attachments

• 0422150936-2.jpg
    0422150936-2.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 110

chartle

Ok here is the kit. Pencil didn't come out as nice as the pen.

I blew up (?) the first upper blank because I didn't have it fully supported as I drilled it. Had to make another.

Also the bloodwood hit some sort of soft spot on the maple and stained it more than I wanted it to. If I could get replacement 11/32nd tubes at Rockler I would get some. I didn't see any online but I'll check at my local store at lunch. I need a pen case and I can always use some of their $1.50 "scrap" bin blanks. :biggrin:

This weekend I'm going to make a light box so I can make better pics.

PS this is close as I could get in making a set. I know know about converting Parker kits but I had already bought these.

Attachments

• 0423151009-2.jpg
    0423151009-2.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

chartle

I'm try not to panic but on of the joints on the Fountain pen is off. I can now feel the joint. :eek:

Not sure If I want to put it back on the lathe and give it some more finish.

Top Bottom