My first few pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hornet406

hornet406

I have totally enjoyed my first week of penturning. I have thrown away more blanks due to mistakes and being heavy handed with the tools than I have been able to assemble, but oh well, I have to learn somehow. And as my wife has been playing with resins and molds for some time now, see has made some cool blanks for me to turn.

My first attempt was an epoxy resin for a slimline kit. We made 2 blanks, 1 of metallic green and copper, and the other a blue and yellow swirl. I managed to screw up one portion of each, so I put the pieces together just so I can say I made one....... My impatience always gets the best of me.
Acylic Green Blue-1st.jpg

My second pen is a slimline in copper accent turned from Spanish Cedar. The wood is a little softer than I thought it would be and marks easily. I did not know how to do the CA finish at the time, so hopefully the next will be more durable.
Cedar-Copper 2nd.jpg

My third pen is also a copper slimline (they had a sale:eek:) turned from Purpleheart with a CA finish. That came out the best so far and I left the ends a bit larger so the grip is much more comfortable than being straight between the bushings.
Purpleheart-Copper 3rd.jpg

Finally is my wifes wonderful job at a red with white pearl swirled ribbon blank. I made the mold from cutting board material and is large enough for 10 blanks. I turned the first of these, as shown on the mandrel. Copper won't due for this one so off to the store........
Ribbon Swirl Blank 1st.jpg

Hope you enjoy. Feedback good or bad always welcome. Thanks for looking. More to come.

Rick_G

I can see why you enjoyed it. They turned out pretty good for firsts and having a wife who likes to play with PR is a bonus. As you learned fast straight bushing to bushing works ok for some pens but the slimline not so much.

Don't do like many of us did when first starting out, when you mess up a blank you don't need to toss it and the tube out. Leave the tube on the lathe and turn down to clean brass and reuse it. No need to waste money on new brass tubes just because a large chunk of wood or PR blew off it doesn't hurt the brass.

Top Bottom