My First Diamond Knurl - new style for me.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska.

Today I finished up the custom cabochon for my first Diamond Knurl from Ed and Dawn at Exotic Blanks. It is their Antique Brass finish and I used Brazilian Lacewood finished using my standard CA regimen. Smitty's Caballero (also from Exotic Blanks) used to be my favorite Junior Gent style, but I think the Diamond Knurl might be taking over the top spot. I really like the rustic feel that the knurled trim ring gives to the pen.

Regards,
Dave

PS I also used it as the opportunity to create Step-by-step Turning and Assembly Quick Reference sheets for future use.

Here are the thumbnails: (Click on them to zoom in)

IMG_3531 (Cropped).jpg IMG_3533 Cropped.jpg

IMG_3525 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3526 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3527 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3528 (Cropped).jpg
IMG_3529 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3530 Cropped.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TDahl

Beautiful pen David. The Caballero has also been my go to pen for custom cabochons, but I do like the look of the Diamond Knurl. I may have to switch as well.:)

KMCloonan

I really like the finial/cabochon on your pen. It's a touch of class that sets these pens apart from the run of the mill pens. I like making those on Jr. Gents and Caballeros as well as Diamond Knurls. With the Diamond Knurl, I also like making a custom center band sometimes - I also agree with Dave that the knurled center band looks nice, but of the 3 kits mentioned, Diamond Knurl is the easiest to replace the center band with a custom one.

egnald

I really like the finial/cabochon on your pen. It's a touch of class that sets these pens apart from the run of the mill pens. I like making those on Jr. Gents and Caballeros as well as Diamond Knurls. With the Diamond Knurl, I also like making a custom center band sometimes - I also agree with Dave that the knurled center band looks nice, but of the 3 kits mentioned, Diamond Knurl is the easiest to replace the center band with a custom one.
Ooooooohhhh I never thought about making a custom center band. That sounds really cool - thanks for the idea - Dave

bugradx2

these are drop dead gorgeous. I've been debating trying one of these and this put me over the top.

egnald

How do you make the cabochon?
Thank you for asking. I posted about this only a couple of months ago. Although the cabochon I made for this pen was more pointy (kind of like the stock one) and less rounded than the one in my post, the process is essentially the same. Shortly after with the help of Wayne, I put together a tutorial that Wayne loaded to the library as a .pdf file. Here is a link to the resource: Custom Cabochon Cap. Click on the picture to start the .pdf file download.

Although I think the resource file is a little more concise, if you prefer to look at the post instead, here is a link to it: How I Make a Custom Cabochon.

Feel free to read through them and of course if you have any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
Dave

bugradx2

Thank you for asking. I posted about this only a couple of months ago. Although the cabochon I made for this pen was more pointy (kind of like the stock one) and less rounded than the one in my post, the process is essentially the same. Shortly after with the help of Wayne, I put together a tutorial that Wayne loaded to the library as a .pdf file. Here is a link to the resource: Custom Cabochon Cap. Click on the picture to start the .pdf file download.

Although I think the resource file is a little more concise, if you prefer to look at the post instead, here is a link to it: How I Make a Custom Cabochon.

Feel free to read through them and of course if you have any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
Dave
Thanks Dave! I will take a look!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I really like this pen!!!

So, to encourage others to try it, I made it the "special" for this week. You can find it here, at the weekly special price!!

Thank-you Dave for showing the potential with antique brass--it sets off your choice of wood in a spectacular fashion!!

Top Bottom