My first Churchill rollerball

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from FGarbrecht

FGarbrecht

churchill (1).jpg
I
I wanted to try something a bit more ambitious than the single tube pens I've been learning on, so I did a churchill rollerball with a hybrid technique doing rough turning on a mandrel with bushings and final by TBC. I didn't realize at the time I started that snakewood is (or can be) tough to deal with, and I think I learned some of the ins and outs of dealing with it. I actually cracked the blank on my chuck during initial drilling (I heard the crack but couldn't see it), so I just blithely proceeded on. Once the blanks were glued up and turned to final size and shape I could see a 1 cm longitudinal crack, which I attempted to fix. I think I did a pretty decent job on the crack but you can find it if you look hard enough. Finishing was a bear too. I took the finish down at least 4 times because of various problems and imperfections, but I learned a lot during the process. I used a micrometer during the turning and finishing as advised here, and the final fit is pretty near perfect.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

you did a nice job! Great looking pen - fit and finish are spot on! I love snakewood but but I won't put it on pens anymore - have not made one that didn't crack within 6 months or so. If I could figure out how to prevent the cracks.....!

FGarbrecht

you did a nice job! Great looking pen - fit and finish are spot on! I love snakewood but but I won't put it on pens anymore - have not made one that didn't crack within 6 months or so. If I could figure out how to prevent the cracks.....!
I wonder if stabilizing the snakewood would help prevent cracking. Time for an experiment....

Top Bottom