My first "capped" pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from sorcerertd

sorcerertd

I really hadn't gotten around to trying a rollerball other than the Rollester (don't really care for the caps on those much, though). This is the starter set from PSI that uses the 10mm bit for both pieces.
The woods are Cocobolo, Bubinga (with a little spalting), spalted Poplar, and curly Katalox. It's really hard to photograph the curly Katalox being so dark and with the light reflection (even with a diffuser). Guess I'll head over to the photography forum about that.

20200810_093200.jpg

Attachments

• 20200810_093222.jpg
    20200810_093222.jpg
    850.1 KB · Views: 180
  • 20200810_093302.jpg
    20200810_093302.jpg
    816.7 KB · Views: 160
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

Very nice looking pens, great wood, beautifully finished. Are they all the same kit? The bubinga has a different finial and clip, and two of them have different lower caps.

Chasper

Are the two pens on the left Classic Elite 2? Apparently it does not have the long neck finial that the Classic Elite does.

sorcerertd

Are the two pens on the left Classic Elite 2? Apparently it does not have the long neck finial that the Classic Elite does.

Yes, and I actually made them in order from left to right. I was a little surprised to see the difference when I started putting them together.

Chasper

As I remember, the original Classic looked like the Classic Elite but the cap snapped on to close or post, it had the long neck. It actually was a pretty good pen, I had one laying around that I used for a few years. But they never got much attention when I tried to sell them. Classic Elite added threads for capping and posting. I never tried them, I thought the sales resistance was because of the long neck finial, not the snap closure. I'm happy to see that they have addressed the long neck and I plan to give them another try. I wish there were available in all chrome and all gun metal, the gold trim looks great on the one you made, but I believe chrome trim would sell better.

mick

The popular is sweet! I like it a lot! I've got some I bought off FeeBay that is grey with yellow streaked right it. I need to turn something from it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mick

Yes, and I actually made them in order from left to right. I was a little surprised to see the difference when I started putting them together.
The 2 on the right used to be called Flat top Americans. I have no idea if they've changed or not but CSUSA and Penn State used to carry them under that name.

sorcerertd

The 2 on the right used to be called Flat top Americans. I have no idea if they've changed or not but CSUSA and Penn State used to carry them under that name.

I saw a post recently that mentioned the flat top American pens, but they were click pens where the "cap" was the clicker.

The poplar blanks were actually sitting in a box, unmarked, when I made my last run to the wood warehouse. The owner said it was spalted poplar and they were $1 each. Shoot, I'll try 'em out!

Last edited:
Top Bottom