My First CA Finished Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim in Oakville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Well I have been reading and seeing some of the great work posted here and have wondered about using a CA finish. I took a shot at it today on two pens, this is my first one. It's a blue stabilized box elder burl. I used two thin coats, the first one applied after 3600 on the MM then resanded then the second one applied again after 12000 and resanded. It was amazing how brilliant the finish was before wax and polish.

Thanks for looking

20053523227_IMG_1099.jpg

20053523255_IMG_1096.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodpens

Nice job, Jim. It's not easy to see the finish, but I know what you mean. It's hard to beat a good CA finish that coats a beautiful piece of wood like that! I see you borrowed a Jr Gman part so you can post the cap. I like the functionality of doing that, but I personally don't think it is quite as pleasing to the eye. Still, this is one beautiful pen.

Originally posted by woodpens
<br />Nice job, Jim. It's not easy to see the finish, but I know what you mean. It's hard to beat a good CA finish that coats a beautiful piece of wood like that! I see you borrowed a Jr Gman part so you can post the cap. I like the functionality of doing that, but I personally don't think it is quite as pleasing to the eye. Still, this is one beautiful pen.

Thanks Jim, I appreciate the comment on the post. I debated the look, I have a few junior statesman pens with the post and some with out the post. The scale of the pen is smaller that the larger brother and in that I have found most of my customers want that feature. I know what you mean though....I bought them extra from CSUSA, I like it with or with out....

Do you put a clear coat friction or laquer finish over your CA finishes?

woodpens

Originally posted by Jim in Oakville
<br />
Originally posted by woodpens
<br />Do you put a clear coat friction or laquer finish over your CA finishes?
I do put a coat of friction polish on most of the time. Sometimes a voice in my head says, "Don't touch it!" [;)]

Tropical

Wow!! Just as gorgeous as your other one. Love this colour as well. Great work on both. Your photography is great as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom